Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

No boot, 6.10 -> 7.04 upgrade. (SATA Controller Issue.)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No boot, 6.10 -> 7.04 upgrade. (SATA Controller Issue.)

I have looked over the bug reports on this issue, and I haven't seen a resolution posted there yet, so I figured I that I'd post it here. I don't have any dmesg dumps, etc. So I'll have to explain it the best I can. (I don't have any dumps since I can't even get it to boot into single user.)

So, here's the story. I upgraded last night to 7.04 from 6.10 Kubuntu, all went well except for an error at the very end of the installer when it was going to ask me to reboot. (I understand, it's still in beta ... no big deal.) So, I reboot the system normally, no boot. It freezes complaining about ATA2.01 (My IDE CD-ROM drives) not responding fast enough, after this, it chokes and dies.

I am running my SATA drive in legacy mode right now, and it boots/runs perfectly fine at this point. I am simply missing my cd-rom drives.

System info:

Abit AL8 uGuru
    PIV 3.4 GHz Prescott

SATA Controller:

00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation 82801FR/FRW (ICH6/ICH6RW) SATA Controller (rev 03) (prog-if 8a [Master SecP PriP])

I have heard switching to a lower kernel should fix this problem? I think it was 2.6.20-8 where the problem wasn't there for some people.

Linux digit-desktop 2.6.20-12-generic #2 SMP Wed Mar 21 20:55:46 UTC 2007 i686 GNU/Linux

I apologize in advance for the wall of text, I'm just pretty excited to get this all working so I can get on with testing everything.

Working...
X