Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Feisty installed on legacy hardware with no problems (almost)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Feisty installed on legacy hardware with no problems (almost)

I've just installed Ubuntu Feisty on a Sony Vaio PCV-LX700 Slimtop.
    The system spec is: Pentium 3 733MHz, 512MB RAM, 20GB HD, USB 1.1, PCMCIA, Memory Stick drive, Firewire, 15" LCD monitor.
    Internally it is an ASUS PCV board, it's a laptop built in a desktop chassis, network is Fast Ethernet, onboard sound and video with shared memory from RAM (16MB), the chipset is SIS. The system came originally with 128MB RAM running Windows ME. Manufactured in 2000.
    Everything worked out of the box, except the PS/2 mouse. But who cares?
    System is updated and free from virus, trojans, BSOD and crap. It's not a rocket, but WinXP ran much slower, so all is good.

Re: Feisty installed on legacy hardware with no problems (almost)

You might also look into Xubuntu, which is designed for older hardware.
    But if you like Kubuntu, we're glad to have you.
    For external use only.

Comment

Re: Feisty installed on legacy hardware with no problems (almost)

Thanks a lot, mate. I've heard good things about the Ubuntu distros and am glad I changed. My main distros were Mandriva and SuSE, but I've also tried TurboLinux and even the Caldera OpenLinux back in 1998 or something. I can only compare contemporary distros, and the Ubuntu family looks steps ahead of the competition, IMHO.
      BTW, this system is for a sister, and I have the impression that a distro based on XFCE may be more suited to a geek, given the not so big popularity of this environment. Of course the low system requirement is a plus, but she has just said the computer is faster, so there is a good chance it will remain there.
      It is impressive to see so many competitors like WindowMaker, Enlightenment, IceWM, FVWM fading through time, and though XFCE was never a giant, it is there, alive in a giant distro.

Comment

Working...
      X