X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Laptop Hardware

Hi all.

I bought a laptop from a friend and I just want to know how Kubuntu will perform on it. The processor is a 1 GHz P3 with 256 RAM. The RAM I will most likely upgrade, but the processor is my main concern. Will KDE run smooth with that or should I just use Ubuntu?

Thanks guys.

Re: Laptop Hardware

Originally posted by janthes
    Will KDE run smooth with that or should I just use Ubuntu?
    i'd say: double your ram and you'll be just fine.
    gnome is heavier than kde.
    and it's crap
    gnu/linux is not windoze

Comment

Yeah, 512 was what I was thinking of upgrading to, but 1GHz seems kinda slow to me (my desktop is OC'ed to 3.14 GHz), plus I'm not sure of how much cache it has. I'm thinking Kubuntu might run like syrup with 1 GHZ, so I want to double check.

Anyways I heard that GNOME is lighter weight than K, but i love KDE, so I wouldn't want to switch...

Comment

Yeah, 512 was what I was thinking of upgrading to, but 1GHz seems kinda slow to me (my desktop is OC'ed to 3.14 GHz), plus I'm not sure of how much cache it has. I'm thinking Kubuntu might run like syrup with 1 GHZ, so I want to double check.
        if you use it for regular every day stuff, like reading email, browsing, listen to music...
        your cpu will sit idle most of the time.
        ram is much more important.
        and you can still tweak it a bit and make it a smaller footprint...

Anyways I heard that GNOME is lighter weight than K
        these folks will say anything to get people to use their rubbish de...
        gnu/linux is not windoze

Comment

I've got this old P3 500mHz with 386MB running Xubuntu and use it mainly for backing up E-mail, it's in this configuration a good machine for regular web use.
          I've had a Knoppix install on it and found it to work quite acceptable.
          So your 1gHz with 512MB should have no problem what so ever but still go for the maximum RAM for best speed.

Comment

A 1Ghz CPU, even if it isn't being overclocked, is more that fast enough. I was running Kubuntu Edgy Eft (6.10) on my older Sony VAIO laptop, with 1GB of RAM on a 633Mhz P3. It worked just fine.

Upgrading your RAM is the cheapest way to get system improvement. Shop around. RAM prices are very volatile, and you can save $$$ if you check.
            Windows no longer obstructs my view.
            Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
            "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Working...
            X