This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

APM, ACPI and system sounds

Although this is a new topic, it continues the questions/discussion concerning getting system sounds
    to work with the Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) High Definition Audio Controller (rev 01). The
    original topic can be found at:
    http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3084096.0

Advanced Power Management and Advanced Configuration and Power Interface
    and system sound problem

Packages: apmd and acpid

First, according to the description for apmd from Adept Manager:
    Debian kernels are built with APM support but it is disabled by default.
    You need to boot the kernel with the "apm=on" option if you want to enable
    the driver."

I verified that this module was installed. I also had the acpi* modules
    installed. The only way to get functioning system sounds was to add "acpi=off"
    to the end of the kernel line in the /boot/grub/menu.list file (see the link above).

I have uninstalled the apmd package and the following acpi* packages:

acpi
    acpi-support
    acpid

Additionally, I unchecked "Start during boot"
    (K Menu | System Settings | Advanced | System Settings | System Services) acpid and apmd.
    I then removed the "acpi=off" from the kernel line in /boot/grub/menu.list and rebooted
    the system. The result: No system sounds. Adding "acpi=off" back to the kernel line and
    rebooting results in functioning system sound.

K Menu | System Settings | Advanced | System Settings | System Services lists both acpi and
    apmd, even though the modules were uninstalled. lsmod does not identify these modules. So why
    does adding kernel option "acpi=off" work to get system sounds working when the module it is
    turning off isn't even loaded!?

I am convinced there is a conflict between a power management module(s) and the sound modules.

How do I get a listing of the modules that are actually complied within the kernel, and not those that
    are actually being used once the system is booted?
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes
Working...
X