X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NVIDIA PCI GRAPHICS CARD FX 5500

Hi everybody!
    I'm so new to Linux and I choose Kubuntu over Ubuntu and I love it. My problems arise when trying to install NVIDIA restricted drivers, actually, made my previous ubuntu installation unbootable due to Xserver error message. So, I downloads the files from Nvidia site, I have followed the instructions with no success. (Sad).
    So right now I'm using the Intel motherboard built in graphics card with no problem, and the nvidia is off by the motherboard option, so I could install Kubuntu. If you can spare a little bit of your time sharing your knowledge with this newbie, I'll appreciate it, and I'll try to help someone down the road as I get to know Linux better.
    Thanks!
    PD: Hardware works OK under Vista, But I insist lo learn about Linux.

Re: NVIDIA PCI GRAPHICS CARD FX 5500

Hi jaime. You don't have to install it manually, you can do it a lot easier with the software manager. In your menu there's an entry called Add/Remove Programs, you can install it from there with the click of a button. Do a search for nvidia and you'll see it in the System category, oh and make sure you've got the boxes checked that show unsupported and proprietary software.

Comment

It would help to know the error message...
      For external use only.

Comment

Thanks guys for your attention, after following more detailed instructions, finally I was able to install the driver. But after restart, it made my OS unbootable.
        I've followed instruction here:
        http://us.download.nvidia.com/XFree8...ection-02.html

Should I stop here to read a book about Linux or buy a distribution instead?
        Thanks for your input.

Comment

You probably need to execute "sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg" now, making sure you select the right driver. (I think it's called "nvidia", but I'm not sure.)

If you don't know where to do that, just open Konsole (it's in the K Menu) and paste it in there. It'll prompt you for your password.
          For external use only.

Comment

Hello,
            Thank you guys for your replies. I'm very satisfied to let you know that I've restored my OS and NVIDIA FX 5500 Is finally working! Yeah! I've followed a diffrent set of instructions for actually configure the X SERVER (whatever that is) from restore mode, because Nvidia driver software WILL NOT help me to do that.
            These pages helped me:
            http://doc.gwos.org/index.php/Latest_nvidia_feisty
            http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=33142

Comment

Working...
            X