This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Booting into safe mode

Started my computer this morning and found that it boots into safe mode. I have reedited my xorg.conf back to nv to rule out nvidia driver problems. Help will be appreciated.

Re: Booting into safe mode

You can try the following command:

Code:
    $ sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg
    This is a text-mode wizard that will try to reconfigure your X setup.

If it didn't work, try:

Code:
    $ startx
    And report back any error messages that it gives to you.

The content of the file /var/log/Xorg.0.log or the result of the dmesg command could also be helpful.

Javier.

Comment

The problem has got worse I am now unable to get to the kde splash screen. The kernel appears to load and then I get the message at top of screen saying starting. I then get a flashing cursour on black screen.

Comment

Type the commands of the above post on the blinking cursor.

From now on.. the console or command prompt .

Javier.

Comment

I had tried that I got zero response.

Comment

How black is the black screen?

I mean, do you have a prompt like $ or # or just even (something) in parenthesis.

Do you see the kubuntu splash screen (not the kde one, but the blue one with kubuntu there)?.

Are any messages out there?

Does it do something if you press CTRL+F1, CTRL+F2, etc...?

Javier.

Comment

How black is the black screen? Black +++

I mean, do you have a prompt like $ or # or just even (something) in parenthesis. No prompt just flashing cursor i.e. _

Do you see the kubuntu splash screen (not the kde one, but the blue one with kubuntu there)?. No

Are any messages out there? No command prompt no message kernel appears to load ok i.e. no fails

Does it do something if you press CTRL+F1, CTRL+F2, etc...? No

I did use knoppix to boot and had a look around then I rebooted and this time I got into safe mode and did as you sudjested and I am now into home directory.

Thanks now to try install nvidia drivers again

Comment

Originally posted by coolclassic
                How black is the black screen? Black +++
                Well, that's no really a problem. A Black ++++ is when things do really get complicated .

I did use knoppix to boot and had a look around then I rebooted and this time I got into safe mode and did as you sudjested and I am now into home directory.
                That is very strange. Random working (in linux) is usually a symptom of a hardware failure. Maybe running memtest could be a good idea.

Javier.

Comment

Yeah. Usually, when something doesn't work, it really doesn't work.

What you may want to try is watching it boot, to see if it prints any errors.
                  Start it up and go into the Grub menu. Find (and select) the entry you'd normally boot, and hit E. Find the "kernel" line, and hit E again. go to the very end, and remove only the words "splash" and "quiet". Hit enter, then hit B. Watch it go, and if/when it stops, write down the error and post it.
                  For external use only.

Comment

All is back to normal now.

My problems seem to have been related to modules. The day before my problems I installed lmsensors and during the process of setting this up I believe upset my nvidia modules, this could have been caused by using the command -"sudo depmod -a" although I am not sure. Anyway in my attempt to restore the nvidia drivers had accumulated my problems this included using envy and automatix eventually I downloaded nvidia own driver this also failed to work giving the same errors "Failed to load nvidia module nvidia.ko". I traced this modules to be in the wrong directory moved to correct diectory and the error disappeared. I now had a new error "Failed to load nvidia module" This was traced to a module that should not have been there (I can,t remember the name of module) but after deleating module everything has now started working.

Comment

Working...
                    X