X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[Resolved!] Low resolution in 7.04

Hi all,
    I've installed the latest 7.04 desktop candidate and I must say, things are way snappier than in edgy. I'm very impressed. The only issue is that my screen resolution is at 800x600 and if I try to change it under system settings, the highest resolution is 800x600. The resolution in my previous setups has always been higher than that upon installation. Any ideas? Thanks

aule

Re: Low resolution in 7.04

"sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg". Multiple times may be necessary, if you find out something didn't come out right.

There's also poking around in /etc/X11/xorg.conf.
    For external use only.

Comment

Thanks, I'll have to try it out this evening when I get home. As for poking around in the xorg.conf; there weren't any glaring errors. Although I am a bit of a linux newb and I have only manually configured X under freeBSD. If your recommendation doesn't work out I will post my xorg.conf. One question, should "sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg" be run from the console or can I run it while X is running (and therefore KDE) in konsole. Thanks.

Comment

It doesn't matter, but if you run it from Konsole, you'll need to restart X.
        For external use only.

Comment

Still no go, I've tried messing around with xorg.conf manually and have tried to reconfigure the xserver, but no luck. It seems from the an error message I've seen (usplash) that it fails to set the resolution at 1024x768 and then sets it at 800x600. Any other ideas, anyone?

Comment

When you run "sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg", you select 1024x768 as enabled, right?
            Are you using the correct drivers for your board? Are they the latest?
            For external use only.

Comment

Yes, I have 1024x768 enabled and my xorg.conf is set up correctly. I've adjusted hfreq and vfreq, even tried defining my own modeline and nothing seems to fix it. I've had ubuntu 5.10, 6.04, 6.10, freeBSD (using KDE and flux), and Windows 98 and XP all configured at 1024x768 smoothly. My most recent setup was ubuntu 6.04 upgraded to 6.10 then I installed kde-desktop using apt-get. It booted into kde with the correct resolution. Yesterday, I installed a fresh feisty fawn kubuntu build and this is where I ran into the resolution problem (I wiped my previous build so I can't transfer the xorg.conf over (or check it for that matter). Right now, I am downloading the official feisty kubuntu release, although I don't think it has changed since the test release yesterday.

In terms of the driver, I have an Intel 882810 DC-133 CGC integrated vid card and I'm using the i810 driver. I have never tried to install the latest driver (you'd think that feisty would have the most recent because this card is at least 6 years old). Possible this is a feisty bug? If so I may download and install edgy then dist-upgrade to feisty. I just can't go back to Gnome, I'd rather poke my eyes out.

Thanks for your help SheeEttin

-aule

Comment

aule, I don't know your Intel video chip nor your other hardware, but I have found, when working on display/driver problems, that sometimes it is wise to first install the system as a generic "VESA" display, and then later do the driver installation from a true console screen (i.e. after "sudo /etc/init.d/kdm stop"), so there's no xserver running at all.

So if you re-installing Feisty, I recommend selecting "vesa" (and NOT letting it auto-detect), and then once you've got a functional GUI you can search this forum and Ubuntu Forums about that i810 chip and its driver, because there are many posts about folks dealing with it.

I hope this is slightly helpful ...

Comment

I've tried using the vesa driver (which if i remember correctly, is what I used under freeBSD). Stopping xserver using /etx/init.d/kdm stop from the console, configuring xserver, then restarting the xserver. The best resolution that I could get using that method was 680x400. I will continue my search for the i810 chip issues, thanks dibl.
                  Luckily, I have my notebook with me as well so i can search and futz at the same time .

-aule

Comment

Here's a very stray thought, and I don't know the answer to it.

If you ran the xserver re-configuration routine:

Code:
                    sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg
                    and then when you get to the screen where you "x" each monitor display resolution, I wonder what would happen if you removed all the x's except the one in "1024 x 768"?

Just a thought ...

:P

Comment

Do what dibl says about removing all but one. In some earlier tests, that is what I had to do and then was able to determine the problem from there.

Comment

I tried just setting 1024x768 as the only option, at that point IIRC the resolution maxed at 800x600 (I feel like I tried everything - 6 hours worth of different combinations and reconfigurations). From checking out other threads about the i810 chipset I found the following hack to enter under the Monitor section:

Code:
                        Option  "NoDDC"
                        which I'll try when I get home if reinstalling the official kubuntu release doesn't work. I appreciate the hints though, I'll let you all know how it goes this evening.

-aule

Comment

Resolved.....
                          Upon reinstalling feisty today, I still had the same resolution issue. So during the livecd session I configured the xserver and got the issue fixed (I'm now back to 1024x768!). The hack I mentioned in the previous post (Option "NoDDC") combined with adding in a custom modeline through system settings seemed to work. After installation I booted my fresh build in the correct resolution.
                          Thanks for all your help sheeEttin, dibl and MoonRise and for your suggestions; I learned quite a bit about playing around with the xserver and xorg.conf.

Now I just need to work on those `SCSI' drives I apparently have
                          (http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3081634.0)

-aule

Comment

Re: [Resolved!] Low resolution in 7.04

Glad to hear.

Comment

Working...
                            X