This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

mounting ext3 partition

Hello, I've posted before and did get a reply but I'm still confused. Could someone please point me in the right direction. I have a partition which I would like to access from Kubuntu i've already created it but havent "mounted" it, I just want it for storing music and other files so its seperate from the operating system, i've been trying for a long time to do this so any help would be great, thanks!

Mike

Re: mounting ext3 partition

1. Create mountpoint for your partition, something like:
    Code:
    sudo mkdir /media/data
    2. Check the devicename of your partition
    Code:
    sudo fdisk -l
    (-l is a 'small L')
    write down the device name for the partition

3. Edit /etc/fstab
    Code:
    kdesu kate /etc/fstab
    Add a line for your partition, something like
    /dev/hda3 /media/data ext3 defaults 0 2
    (replace /dev/hda3 with the devicename you found in step 2, and /media/data with the path you created in step 1)
    If your partition does not have an 'ext3' filesystem on it, check 'man mount' for the abbreviation of your filesystem. You may also need to change the default options depending on the filesystem and the permisiions you want to give for users. Post again for more information (you can also read 'man mount')

4. Now you should be able to mount it with for example
    Code:
    sudo mount /media/data
    It will also mount on boot automatically.

Comment

Thankyou for your help so far, I seem to be able to access the partition - I have a folder created inside by default I think called "lost&found" it seems locked, I cant seem to create folders or save files to this partion and it seems to be mounted correctly - How do I edit the permissions, I have tried using the properties menu by right clicking on the device icon but it wont allow me to change the permissions. Thanks again for your help

Mike

Comment

1. Use 'sudo chmod'...see 'man chmod' for details.
        or
        2. start konqueror 'as root' with
        'kdesu konqueror' to edit permissions

Comment

Working...
        X