This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Multi media problems

I have just installed Kubuntu 6.06 and did all the security patch updates. I am trying to play video and/or dvd using either Kaffeine or Real Player 10 for Linux. Kaffeine will not play at all, saying that audio plugins are not loaded.

Just inserted a dvd and was given the option to play with Kaffeine. This is the error message:

The source can't be read.
    Maybe you don't have enough rights for this, or source doesn't contain data (e.g: no disc in drive). (/dev/scd0)

Real Player will play sound but not video. What must I do? If this topic has already been dealt with elsewhere my apologies for the duplication and a re-direct would be appreciated.

Many thanks in advance.

Re: Multi media problems

This should help with audio: http://kubnewb.blogspot.com/2006/06/...yback-and.html

Comment

Thank you very much for your prompt reply. I followed the steps and now I can play video files with kaffeine-xine. However, I am still unable to play DVD's. I still get the following message in Kaffeine:

The source can't be read.
      Maybe you don't have enough rights for this, or source doesn't contain data (e.g: no disc in drive). (/dev/scd0)

Is there something about LInux not allowed to play DVD's in the U.S.?

btw, this is the plugin details report I get:

xine: cannot find input plugin for MRL [dvd:/]
      xine: input plugin cannot open MRL [dvd:/]
      xine: found input plugin : DVD Navigator
      demux_avi: invalid avi chunk "demux_avi: invalid avi chunk "demux_avi: invalid avi chunk "demux_avi: invalid avi chunk "demux_avi: invalid avi chunk "demux_avi: invalid avi chunk "demux_avi: invalid avi chunk "demux_avi: invalid avi chunk "demux_avi: invalid avi chunk "demux_avi: invalid avi chunk "demux_avi: invalid avi chunk "demux_avi: invalid avi chunk "demux_avi: invalid avi chunk "demux_avi: invalid avi chunk "demux_avi: invalid avi chunk "demux_avi: invalid avi chunk "xine: found demuxer plugin: AVI/RIFF demux plugin
      xine: found input plugin : file input plugin

Comment

Sorry to say I know nothing about playing DVDs in Linux yet. I haven't gotten that far. :P I'm a total newb, too.

Comment

Did you check out the DVD section of the Restricted Formats Page at the Ubuntu wiki?

Comment

You want this package, libxine-extracodecs, located in the following repository, (copy and paste the text into the "New Repository" Text box in Adept Manager then click "add" and "apply" then "fetch updates" filtering for that package.

deb http://au.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ dapper multiverse

Comment

Working...
            X