X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KDE File Association

Hi,

On my last Suse system I had a useful applet which allowed me to change file associations. It was in what would be System Settings/KDE Components.

I have looked for it Kunbuntu 6.6 and can't for the life of me find it.

Doe's Kunbuntu have this applet? If yes where is it, or how do I install it?

Its just so useful and ensuring you open files with the applications you want to use.

Any help greatfuly recieved.

Re: KDE File Association

I know of no applet but by right-clicking on the file icon you can select "open with"

Ian

Comment

You are talking about applets on the panel/kicker, right?

As far as I know, there is no applet like that in the general KDE setup. Probably SUSE made their own modifications which could be SUSE-only. There's also a chance that it's some installable package hidden in the repositories. (I'll try to look for it and update you if I've had any luck).

Is it an applet just for changing the File Associations? I think an almost similar applet would be the Settings applet, which allows you to launch KControl modules, which includes the File Associations.
      Jucato's Data Core

Comment

Originally posted by Jucato
        You are talking about applets on the panel/kicker, right?

Sorry, My technical linguistics is probably not to good. It is not a kicker applet but a tool that resides in KDE system settings.

Is it an applet just for changing the File Associations? I think an almost similar applet would be the Settings applet, which allows you to launch KControl modules, which includes the File Associations.
        This would seem to be it. It presents you with a list of file types. Klicking on it presents you with a list of applications associated with the file by the system. These are presented in order. So under MSExel file type you would have openoffice and any other spreadsheet application on your system that can open that file. You adjust the order to get the app you want to open it first. You can also add apps to the list.

I find it allows me to fine tune the system a bit. When you click on a file your choice of app opens it. I found it a better more comprehensive fix than KDE component choser.

Comment

Btw, the File Associations module is missing from Kubuntu's System Settings, because it can be reached from Konqueror (they didn't want to duplicate it). Launch Konqueror > Settings menu > Configure Konqueror > scroll down a bit to find File Associations.

You could also see File Associations by launching KControl (Alt+F2, type in kcontrol).
          Jucato's Data Core

Comment

Originally posted by Jucato
            Btw, the File Associations module is missing from Kubuntu's System Settings, because it can be reached from Konqueror (they didn't want to duplicate it). Launch Konqueror > Settings menu > Configure Konqueror > scroll down a bit to find File Associations.

You could also see File Associations by launching KControl (Alt+F2, type in kcontrol).
            Thank you very much. It's funny how you don't see things that are not in familiar places... javascript:replaceText(' 8)', document.postmodify.message);

Comment

I think the Kubuntu team, when they were making System Settings (it's a Kubuntu-only program, btw), probably decided not to duplicate some kcontrol modules. Meaning, if the settings could be found elsewhere, they didn't include it there. So some settings, like File Associations and Web Browser settings, are not included in the System Settings program, because they could be found in Konqueror's Settings menu, too.

It makes a bit of sense. But not if you're using KControl, which is the Control Center of KDE.
              Jucato's Data Core

Comment

Working...
              X