This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reboot results in black screen with Kubuntu Dapper

For some reason my laptop will not reboot. Happens right after the install (graphical or text). Installer says everything installed sucessfully then it tries to reboot but it never does. I tried installing with kubuntu desktop cd and kubuntu alternative install cd. Both had same results. It seems to go through reboot process just fine until it gets to "will now reboot" then my screen goes black but it never reboots nor shutdown. Shutdown works for me so that seems wierd. Also I've tried the lapic acpi=off and lapic acpi=force options which didn't solve the problem. I also tried the TerminateServer=true option in /etc/kde3/kdm/kdmrc. Tried combination of the 3 options and still I end up with the black screen (for long time). HAs anyone resolved this or come up with a different workaround?

Seems to me that dapper was more stable? just using ndiswrapper on dapper results in terminal not working, unable to start adept, unable to log-off and unable to shutdown. Is there something like the ctrl-alt-del in windows I can do for when the os freezes?

System: Averatec 3150 with s3 prosavageddr video card. Motherboard is a VIA VT8235 KN266.

Re: Reboot results in black screen with Kubuntu Dapper

update. Tried kubuntu breezy a few hours ago and everything good. Seems like they changed something in dapper to make it unable to reboot my laptop. Hope they fix it soon 'cuz the new themes and graphics look nice in dapper, it also felt a bit faster. However, the reboot problem is anoying enough that I think I stick with breezy for now.

Now all I have to do is figure out how to get wpa working. No wpa_supplicant in the breezy install cd!!! any suggestions anyone?

Comment

Working...
    X