This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

kernel upgrade issues

So, Adept told me there were things that needed to be updated so I let it do its thing. One of the things it upgraded was the kernel from version 26 to 27. At the end it told me there was an error but it did not provide any other info. I figured I would just try it again later. Well, now when I boot I get options for 26 or 27. I cannot boot 27 at all (kernel panic). I can boot 26 OK but whenever I try to run Adept it tells me another process is using it and I cannot make any changes. I looked at ps (ps -ef) and I cannot find anything that even resembles an Adept process.

Any advice?

Re: kernel upgrade issues

I also did a kernel update which gave me a 386 version, I previously had a k7 (AMD) so when I tried to install in Adept the newer k7 version it showed installed yet it wasn't when I check it. Sorry for the long explanation. I tried to get into Adept after reboot and I got the same msg. and problem that you have. I did a ps (ps-ef) couldn't find anything either.
    OK what I did was to do an Apt-Get update which came up with an error msg. and suggested that I do "dpkg --configure -a" which I did. Now in my case this fixed both my problems, (k7 is default again, and I got Adept working fine again)
    Not sure if this is of any help.

Comment

Originally posted by gnarly
      I also did a kernel update which gave me a 386 version, I  previously had a k7 (AMD) so when I tried to install in Adept the newer k7 version it showed installed yet it wasn't when I  check it. Sorry for the long explanation. I tried to get into Adept after reboot and I got the same msg. and problem that you have. I did a ps (ps-ef) couldn't find anything either.
      OK what I did was to do an Apt-Get update which came up with an error msg. and suggested that I do  "dpkg --configure -a"  which I did.  Now in my case this fixed both my problems, (k7 is default again, and I got Adept working fine again)
      Not sure if this is of any help.
      Mate, your suggestion worked perfectly, I booted using kernel 26 went into konsole and typed "sudo apt-get update" which came up with the error message and the suggested solution, I then typed "sudo dpkg --configure -a" and restarted after it finished and she booted up using kernel 27 without any problems.
      Thanks mate.

Comment

Hi,

I am super new to Linux, so please bear with me.

I had the same problem, although mine is a bit different. I also have a winxp install, and after this update this no longer showed up in my boot options. Luckily I had backed up my original menu.lst so I was able to get in. But now I am a little bit worried that if this fix works, I might lose it again. Not huge i suppose if I back up menu.lst again.

but the bigger question is that not only did i get the behavior mentioned above (unable to get into 27 at all), but my 26 won't let me boot up into anything other than recovery mode. In 'normal' mode, the login screen does come up, but after I enter my password it barfs and sends me back to the login screen again.

so, i guess the question is, cann I run this adept update stuff from recovery mode? and if so, and everything works, will it eventually pick up my windows install in the menu.lst? It seems that the 27 update should have simply added things to my menu.lst, not overwritten it. It will be something of a pain in the ass to do this over and over again every time I update.

thanks in advance!

Comment

Working...
        X