Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Installer hangs on "scanning repository" (I have no OS now)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Installer hangs on "scanning repository" (I have no OS now)

Hi, I tryied the desktop installer 2 times and it hangs at 1% on step 6 (scanning repository), I'm without a OS roght now.

Is there something I can try?. It's hard to do something because I have no internet. Why doesn't the cd comes with a pppoe client?

I've chequed the partitions and there seems to be a system installed, but grub gives error 17 and there's not grub directory in the boot dir of the new / partition.

Thanks for any help.

Lucas.

Re: Installer hangs on "scanning repository" (I have no OS now)

did you have a working internet connection when you ran the live version?

Comment

Originally posted by Emerzen
      did you have a working internet connection when you ran the live version?
      I do now (found the pppoe client) but still looking to "scanning mirror" at 1% (in the original post I said scanning repository but I was wrong)

Any ideas?

Comment

More news, now it says "scanning the security updates repository" ant it's at 2%, so at least something is happening.

Is this timing normal? and is an internet connection a requisite to install?, if so, it would be nice that the warned about it.

Thanks, I'll report here later.

Comment

In previous released the text based installer would ask if you wanted to configure the network, and if you said no there was no attempt to d/l, obviously. With Dapper this option isn't immediately apparent, but if you look into advanced install options it may still be there. There is a d/l known as the "Alternative CD" which may have some of these options as well. I would search the forum for advanced installation options.

Regarding the speed of the d/l, if you're on dial-up that may very well be accurate. When I first installed Dapper it required >200MB of extra downloading along the way to update, but this was done via cable modem. If that's the case w/ your install and your on dial up, the slowness may be accurate...2% of 200MB, let's say, would be 2MB. How long does it normally take to download 2 MB on your modem? Some such calculation may give you an estimate of the speed expected.

Again, I'm sure there's a way to install w/o d/l the updates, but I'm not sure how to go about it.

Comment

Originally posted by Emerzen
            In previous released the text based installer would ask if you wanted to configure the network, and if you said no there was no attempt to d/l, obviously. With Dapper this option isn't immediately apparent, but if you look into advanced install options it may still be there. There is a d/l known as the "Alternative CD" which may have some of these options as well. I would search the forum for advanced installation options.

Regarding the speed of the d/l, if you're on dial-up that may very well be accurate. When I first installed Dapper it required >200MB of extra downloading along the way to update, but this was done via cable modem. If that's the case w/ your install and your on dial up, the slowness may be accurate...2% of 200MB, let's say, would be 2MB. How long does it normally take to download 2 MB on your modem? Some such calculation may give you an estimate of the speed expected.

Again, I'm sure there's a way to install w/o d/l the updates, but I'm not sure how to go about it.
            I don't think there's an advanced opions dialog in the installer, and I'm using 2mbps adsl, so speed should not be a problem, the problem seems to be a looooooong time out, because it didn't download anything, at some point it gave up and continued with normal installation.

Anyway, it's installed now, so thank you very much for your help.

Comment

Working...
            X