X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A Partial Return To Windows

Hey,

I downloaded and installed Kubuntu a couple weeks ago and I immediately liked it. It gave a great amount of control which Windows lacked and just looked cool. However, I've now realized that some of the games I want to run, and more importantly Guitar Pro, just will not work with Linux for me. Therefore I'd like to go to a duel boot system.

Specifically, what I'd like to do is copy my current Kubuntu installation to a second smaller hard drive, because it’s the games that take up most of the space, and then reinstall Windows XP on the first hard drive. I would appreciate any guidance or advice on how to do this and then how to be able to boot from either hard drive.

Thanks in advance.

Re: A Partial Return To Windows

It would probably be a lot easier to add the second drive, reinstall Windows, and then install K fresh on the second drive.

If you have a lot of customization in K, you might want to copy some or all of your home folder to a CD or something to be restored later. Maybe some files in /etc as well.

Lane
    Lane Lester
    The Web Doctor

Comment

Yeah. Does sound simpler. Now that I think about it I might just copy my APT sources file and the reinstall. Then thanks to the wonderful command that is apt-get i could probably have most of my programs back in an hour

Thanks.

Comment

I think actually to save myself the trouble of Dual Booting most of the time, I'm going to reinstall Kubuntu on a seperate hard drive and then install colinux and configure it to run my Kubuntu install. Anybody have any experience with anything like this, or any advice or warnings?

I've already found some guides to doing this on the Colinux wiki and the Ubuntu forums.

-Achates

Comment

Getting back to your original problem..... Have you tried configuring Wine or cedega. Cedega can play most game itles out now and it may be able to run your Guitar software. Check out www.transgaming.com fopr cedega details. I now it runs MS office fine and has run different software. Then to get your games working try this.

http://www.linuxloader.com/modules.p...pid=28&page=32

PDR60

Comment

Yeah I tried Wine and Cedega. I probably could get them to work after a while, but meanwhile my band is left without me to write songs, and I am the main songwriter. Also, my computer really isn't that great so it can't handle even the small performance hits that Cedega and Wine cause. Furthermore, I just could not get midi to work on my computer. I'm not really sure how it works with Windows on this comp, but with Kubuntu the only way I could get midi was with Timidity, and this caused horrible lag when run with wine and guitar pro. So, I may go back to Kubuntu full time when I get a better computer, but for now, Windows is the best way to get some things done. Thanks though.
            -Achates

Comment

Hi Achates,
              most HD manufacturers on there support sites supplie formating software that will do just what you want format your new HD and mirror your windows installation to it.

Regards John.

Comment

Working...
              X