This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Triple Boot

I've got a machine with XP that I installed SUSE 10.0 on, and SUSE 10.0 repartitionied the drive and setup Dual Boot. Now I'd like to try Kubuntu (or maybe Ubuntu, or maybe the Server version). Will the Boot CD's install option work with the Dual Boot setup by SUSE to make a Tripple (or maybe Quad ... etc) boot system?

Thanks Cla.

Re: Triple Boot

Do you have another drive or unpartitoned space to put it on?
    Grub will handle it with ease I think.. the live cd installer handled my xp partition without issues and provided it as a choice on the grub menu.

Might have the best luck though in useing the alternate cd which give much more control over the grub setup.
    Kubuntu 18.04 on AMD

Comment

No, I, don't have another drive or unpartitioned space. The last time, SUSE's install took care of repartitioning the free space from XP, and I chose to split it 50/50. I was hoping that Ubuntu would basically do the same thing, and give me the option to resize the existing partitions and use the free space for Ubuntu, along with modifying the boot loader to present 3 options instead of 2.

Comment

Well it may be able to I am not sure 100%
        I made preparations before installing where I had xp with 2 partitions and a 3rd partition for grub on the first drive then a 2nd drive just for kubuntu.
        It may be able to handle it more like suse did but I cannot say it would work exactly the same way. It does provide partition management during the setup process but as far as leaving the existing partitions intact and useable is another story.
        Kubuntu 18.04 on AMD

Comment

Hi
          I tried this a few week ago but could not get it to work, I had xp on one disc and SuSe10.1 on my second disc, I then partitioned the disc with xp on it and installed Mepis.
          I never got it to run.
          I have taken out SuSe and Mepis and installed Kubuntu and can no longer boot into xp, so procede with caution.

Comment

Triple boot is not much different in outline to dual boot, but its more complex to maintain. However, the way I do it is to use a partition manager in XP (I use Paragon but Partition Magic is most popular) to partition the disc. The other thing to remember is that you only want one Grub and you already have it- so either don't let the third distribution install write its Grub to the MBR, instead - if necessary, manually write the code into Grub to boot the third distro - or let the third distro write its Grub to the MBR but only if you know that it has added (or you have manually added) the XP and the other distro to the list of detected OS's

You often have to muck about with Grub every time you update either of your linux OS's Kernel's in a triple boot situation- you soon get the hang of it. If all this sounds gobbledygook - follow the thread on solmisations dual boot issue on this board and google on editing Grub for further info. Any problems - please post back

Comment

Working...
            X