This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[C] Freezing problem

Hi everyone, this is my first post here! 

Let me start by saying that I have had nothing but trouble with kubuntu thus far.  First, I could not get the normal cd to even boot into the livecd part.  I had to get the text based install.  I got it to install.

Now here is the problem.  Everytime I boot, I get to the logon screen and log on.  Then within a few minutes everything locks up.  Sometimes it does not lock up, but it goes to a black screen and thent takes me back to the logon screen.  Then it will lock up after that.

I even tried to go into command line only mode and it somehow managed to lock up in that too.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Re: [C] Freezing problem

Unless your problems with the live CD were due to a bad burn (happens sometimes), you seem to have a problem that (K)ubuntu is not working well with your hardware. Is your system unusual in any way? For example, are you installing on a cell phone, or a supercomputing mainframe?

One thing that oftem works is to go into the text only "recovery mode" and try the command "sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg". That gives you a chance to tell Kubuntu what kind of video setup you have.

Comment

Thanks for your response!

My computer specs are
      Athlon 64 3200+
      Ati Radeon X800xl video
      1 gig ram, etc.

After playing with it a little more, i did reconfigure xserver and set the device to vesa. This took care of the freezing problem.

Thanks for your help. My next venture is getting compiz to work.

Comment

actually, the problem does not appear to be fixed.

It randomly restarts x or just freezes.

But...if i am in recovery mode and i type startx, it come up and works fine.

Any ideas?

Comment

Working...
        X