X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Partitioning

Hi

I'm looking to move from MDV 2006 where I'm an (expired) member. Been looking at Kubuntu. I have seen 2 problems for me. The first is Wireless, covered elsewhere I think in other posts, but the second is partitioning. Currently playing around with Dapper Beta 2 live.

I had tried to install a flight 6 CD but encountered a problem at the partitioning stage. I already have the Ext3 and swap partitions set up of course and in the absence of a "use existing partitions" options (a la MDV) I set about trying to partition. I was never able to get past that stage as the whole process seemed circular. When I selected "done setting up partition" I was simply returned to the beginning of the partitioning process again. Predictably, after about half an hour going round in circles I reinstalled MDV again.

Can anyone give me a step-by-step guide on how I get through that stage when I already have (presumably acceptable) partitions set up.

Thanks

Ian

Re: Partitioning

Hello Ian,

try the latest Alpha7 "install cd"..............seems to be pretty stable and "should" help solve your problem of partitioning............

Will

Not the Live CD........it has issues.

Comment

Thanks Will.

Given the issue I had partitioning with flight 6 I was never going to try installation from the live CD. I'll get Flight 7 - the live CD suggests things are looking good. I have figured out how to make Wireless work and it cures a problem with my basic intel sound card (yes it's a laptop) wher plugging in headphones won't turn off the speakers (in MDV and Ubuntu Breezy anyway so the card may be more advanced than I thought).

Probably the wrong place to ask, but I will anyway. MDV has a lot of nice things (notably the Control Centre) but so far as updates are concerned they seem to be entirely focused on security and bug fixes. Things never seem to be upgraded. As a result, MDV 2006 ships with KDE 3.4.2 and if you want to upgrade to 3.5 you have to install some unsupported rpms that have a 50/50 chance of wrecking the system. (K)ubuntu seem more enlightened in that respect. Would that be a fair comment?

Ian

Comment

As a refugee from Mandrake 10.?, let me comment that Mandriva is in business to SELL you upgraded distros every six months to a year. Mark Shuttleworth makes more in interest on his wealth than the entire commercial linux business makes in sales. (If I rememvber his statement correctly.) In addition, he gets most of this distro from Debian, which has a better than a thousand volunteers, some of whom are paid by small companies like IBM and Sun to work full time on Linux. Do you see the reason that once you install (K)Ubuntu, you never have to pay for upgrades, whereas in MDV, you have to pay again every time you want new software?

Comment

Point taken, that's why I am here - ironically by paying nothing I'm getting more up to date than I was paying £80 per year.

I am just running through a flight 7 installation now. Fingers crossed! I am somewhat embarrased to say that the option I required was hidden below the bottom of the screen and so I had not spotted it

Ian

Comment

hello guys, I am trying to migrate from Mandriva 2006 to Kubuntu 5.10. Got DVD from bittorents, 3 gigs.

I've current partition:
            hd2 XP
            hd6 ext 3
            swap 2GB

I do not need anything from ext 3, but I want to keep hd2 XP as is. Will installation from DVD do that? Any care needed?

My current bootloader under mandriva is LILO. Will installation take care of that too? Will I have XP/Kubuntu as new loading options?

Comment

As one who has recently gone before.......

When you install you will arrive at a partition menu. It's different from MDVs and in my view a bit less user-friendly mainly I suppose because it's text based. When you get there you will see all the partitions including your existing Ext3 one. You will have to format the partition - select that option and then go to the bottom of the screen and (i've forgotten the words) and finalise the setup. You will then I recall be asked how you want to use the partition ie /usr/root/home etc so you will no doubt use it as the root partition. It may also not at first correctly identify your swap file as a swap file and you will need to allocate it as such.

On loading, Kubuntu will launch GRUB. It is text based so a little less pretty than the skyward-gazing penguin. However, it does acknowledge the existence of XP and you can select it there.

Ian

Comment

sounds hopefull.
                thanks

Comment

Working...
                X