X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

problems installing on Dell X300

Hello,

during the network detection sequence Dapper (flight 4 CD) fails to detect any network hardware. The Dell X300 comes with a Dell Truemobile 1400 WLAN adapter, which I don't really expect to work without tweaking, but the wired lan is listed under windows as a Broadcom 570x gigabit integrated controller. In other distros this adapter usually works with the bcm5700 module; I tried to manually load it on another console but I can't find it.

Any ideas? I thought the broadcom was a fairly standard adapter, almost all newer Dells use them.

UPDATE: I downloaded the Kubuntu daily build DVD from http://cdimage.ubuntulinux.org/kubuntu/dvd/ but it was not a success. The 'live' image booted fine, except I got Gnome as the default desktop (I thought this was all about the KDE?) and it didn't detect any network card.

The installer panicked because it couldn't mount /dev/ramdisk or something like that way early in the boot process.

Its my guess I'll just have to wait until dapper becomes the new stable. Too bad, the reason I'm trying to install is because Novell's XGL/Compiz and Amarok 1.4 are something I REALLY want to take for a spin...
Working...
X