This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

getting to file system w/ CD Live

I have been messing around with grub on my new installation of Kubuntu . . . and I screwed up royally. It will not boot into either Ubuntu or Kubuntu. I was however smart enough to save a copy of grub to an email account, but I am unsure how to get to grub to edit it. I am new to this but the drive has to be mounted and then I can edit . . . because using kwrite in the Kubuntu cd live I get a bunch of error messages after issuing
    sudo kwrite /boot/grub/menu.lst
    Am I right in assuming that I have to mount the hard drive, in this case hd10 before I can edit this file?
    I feel like such a dumb ass for messing this installation up. tm

Re: getting to file system w/ CD Live

Hopefully this guidance will help you with getting the idea of how to proceed ...

--

Postscript: reference updated

Comment

Re: getting to file system w/ CD Live

Originally posted by UnicornRider
      Hopefully this guidance will help you with getting the idea of how to proceed ...
      Many thanks for the help . . . when I issued the commands listed in that article I got and error message saying something about not found or device blocked. Finally, after some digging around and hitting my head against the wall trying to remember what I have done before, I remembered I could just issue the command sudo grub and then in grub type:
      root (hd0,0)
      setup (hd0)
      now I boot into Ubuntu . . . so that is some progress now I just need to figure out how to configure grub open Kubuntu. However there might be a hardware problem keeping me from using my keyboard during that part of the boot. What I need is a new motherboard.
      Again, thanks for your help.
      Tim

Comment

Working...
      X