X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

configuring volume keys

hi!
    i just upgraded to dapper. I have a saitek eclipse keyboard and I am trying to configure the volume up/down keys. They don't seem to be working now. Is there a way to configure media keys?
    Please let me know. Thanks!

Re: configuring volume keys

hi,

You can use xbindkeys-config. This is a GUI to xbindkeys. I have also been trying to get the volume buttons working, but I have had no success yet. Did not search to hard either yet.

gRTz

ben

Comment

Re: configuring volume keys

ok... there's the simple way and the complex way...

The simple way, is to go to System Settings --> Accessibility --> Keyboard Layout
      Over here, choose your keyboard layout, and model of the keyboard(if your's isn't listed, try another one... usually microsoft or logitech ones... you should be fine as long as it picks up your media keys). Then go to Kmix, and configure global shortcuts to allow you to use your volume keys...

In case no layout works for your keyboard...
      The complex way, open up konsole and type in xev. This will open a child window, with a rectangular box in it. Now, press your media keys, and for each press, it will give a certain number(keycode number). Write down the appropriate keycode numbers for each keys, and type in:
      Code:
      kate ~/.kde/Autostart/keymap.sh
      Once you get kate, type in:
      Code:
      xmodmap -e 'keycode ***=F13' # Play
      xmodmap -e 'keycode ***=F14' # Stop
      and so on... to assign each keycode of yours a function key.
      then
      Code:
      chmod +x ~/.kde/Autostart/keymap.sh
      ~/.kde/Autostart/keymap.sh
      to set it executable, and run it once.

Now, go to Kmix, and global shortcuts once again, and assign the appropriate keys..

Comment

Working...
      X