X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Matrox Dualhead problem on Dapper

Hi,

Have just done a full upgrade using Adept from Breezy to Dapper. All works fine except the Matrox G400 dualhead card I was using on Breezy has now gone to a single screen (which is working fine btw). Seems the Matrox driver (x86-4.3.0) doesn't like the new X system now it's gone to version 7. I tried to re-install the drivers in desperation and it refused saying incompatible. The previously installed driver is still there and referenced corrected in the xorg.conf. Here's the message the install came up with:

========================================
    Matrox Linux Driver Install Script
    ========================================

ERROR: The X server drivers included in this installation package
    do not support the current version of your X server.

Has anyone any ideas how to work around this to get the 2nd screen working on this version of X? Here's an extract from the xorgconf file:

Section "Device"
    Identifier "Matrox Graphics, Inc. MGA G400 AGP 1"
    Driver "mga"
    BusID "PCI:1:0:0"
    Screen 0
    EndSection

Section "Device"
    Identifier "Matrox Graphics, Inc. MGA G400 AGP 2"
    Driver "mga"
    BusID "PCI:1:0:0"
    Screen 1
    EndSection

Section "Monitor"
    Identifier "BenQ FP931"
    Option "DPMS"
    EndSection

Section "Monitor"
    Identifier "Compaq TFT5015m"
    Option "DPMS"
    EndSection

Section "ServerLayout"
    Identifier "Default Layout"
    Screen "Screen0"
    Screen "Screen1" RightOf "Screen0"
    Option "Xinerama" "on"
    InputDevice "Generic Keyboard"
    InputDevice "Configured Mouse"
    EndSection

Am considering putting another graphics card in the pc but it'll be an older pci card. Would prefer to use the Mtrox as the image quality is really good.

Thanks for any help.

Allan.

Re: Matrox Dualhead problem on Dapper

owch! Thank you for the post, it'll keep me from upgradeing until I get to test it out.

Did the veversion of x rewrite your xorg.conf? What happens when you restore a back up of the file?

can you get the dual head to work off a breezy live cd with your xorg.conf?

dutler

Comment

Re: Matrox Dualhead problem on Dapper

Hi

First thing I did when it filed to work after upgrading was put back the previous 'working' xorg.conf file from breezy. Still 1 screen. Tried running the system settings display tool but although It 'knows' about the 2 displays, as it displays properties for both screens, it doesn't get the 2nd one working.

Not sure what to try next as I don't know if dual monitor is supported with the in-built mga driver? I'm guessing the proprietory Matrox driver has been overwritten and it won't re-install with X7. Will try a breezy live cd over lunch today and see what happens with the original xorg.conf and re-post.

Thx.

Comment

Working...
      X