This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dictionary Widget

Hello, thanks for kubuntu (from a mintman), and thanks for having me on these boards. It is my first experience with KDE/plama 5.

Sorry to start with a niggle.

When I bring up the dictionary widget (to translate an English word to Hungarian) and request a translation, this is fast and efficient. Really good!

But, when I get the word, the window stays open. Apart from removing the widget, I can't find a way of closing it. I assigned a keyboard shortcut thinking this might toggle the dictionary widget on and off the desktop. But it didn't!

If I could make the widget window very small, it wouldn't be too bad - I could leave it up. But the window is quite large.

As things stand, I have to remove the widget to clear the screen, and repeat the short, set up routine each time I need a translation.
    It's not a big deal really, and maybe just the way things are. On the other hand, maybe I have missed something obvious?

John

I am running KDE Neon User Edition, just for references.
    I installed the Dictionary Widget and then Left Moused on its icon to open it up. I searched for "Senora", which it found and translated very quickly. To make the UI go away I again Left Moused on the Dictionary Icon and the UI went away. So, on my installation, the Dictionary widget is behaving normally.

My keyboard driver is the "Generic 101-key PC". My mouse is set to Right-handed and all other settings are default. I have my touchpad set to be disabled when a mouse is detected. My compositor is set for rendering with the openGL3.1 with the scale method set to Accurate.

Thanks for the tip about the Dictionary widget. I hadn't noticed it before. It's a keeper!
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by JoHubb View Post
      But, when I get the word, the window stays open. Apart from removing the widget, I can't find a way of closing it. I assigned a keyboard shortcut thinking this might toggle the dictionary widget on and off the desktop. But it didn't!
      I see the same behaviour on Neon and Kubuntu.

Might be worth reporting as a bug or feature request if that behaviour interferes with you using it.

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
      To make the UI go away I again Left Moused on the Dictionary Icon and the UI went away. So, on my installation, the Dictionary widget is behaving normally.
      Sounds like you added the widget to a panel (where it does work like that), and not to the main desktop containment.

Thanks for the tip about the Dictionary widget. I hadn't noticed it before. It's a keeper!
      It got added back into Plasma release in 5.12 (I think) after finally getting ported from KDE4 one.
      On #kubuntu-devel & #kubuntu on libera.chat - IRC Nick: RikMills - Launchpad ID: click

Comment

Originally posted by acheron View Post
        Sounds like you added the widget to a panel (where it does work like that), and not to the main desktop containment.
        That I did. I did not see any logical reason for installing it to the desktop when that desktop would be covered by a browser or some application.

PS- Acheron, your presence on this forum is greatly appreciated!
        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

Originally posted by acheron View Post
          Ah! A panel. Perhaps I need to search in the newbie thread for information on that.

Comment

Ah! A panel. Perhaps I need to search in the newbie thread for information on that.
            Kubuntu (and Neon) come with a default panel at the bottom of the screen. It's the long thin bar at the bottom that contains the system tray, the clock and date, and at the far left end the KGear menu icon. Right mouse on an empty space on that panel and choose "unlock widgets". Then right mouse again and choose "Panel options". Next choose "Install widget" and choose the dictionary widget. It will install at the right end of the panel. Right click on the panel and choose "panel options" followed by "Panel settings". All the widgets which show four arrows around them when you hover a mouse over each one. Hoover over the Dictionary widget, left click on the center of the four arrows and drag it to the left side of the system tray. Click on some other part of the screen to close the "Panel Settings". Then right click on the panel again, choose "Panel Options" then "lock widgets".

PS- To delete the Dictionary icon setting on the middle of your desktop right mouse on it and select the "remove this dictionary" (or something like that). It will uninstall but leave the one in the panel.
            Last edited by GreyGeek; Jul 06, 2018, 12:10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
              Kubuntu (and Neon) come with a default panel at the bottom of the screen. It's the long thin bar at the bottom that contains the system tray, the clock and date, and at the far left end the KGear menu icon. Right mouse on an empty space on that panel and choose "unlock widgets". Then right mouse again and choose "Panel options". Next choose "Install widget" and choose the dictionary widget. It will install at the right end of the panel. Right click on the panel and choose "panel options" followed by "Panel settings". All the widgets which show four arrows around them when you hover a mouse over each one. Hoover over the Dictionary widget, left click on the center of the four arrows and drag it to the left side of the system tray. Click on some other part of the screen to close the "Panel Settings".

Then right click on the panel again, choose "Panel Options" then "lock widgets".

PS- To delete the Dictionary icon setting on the middle of your desktop right mouse on it and select the "remove this dictionary" (or something like that). It will uninstall but leave the one in the panel.
              Great stuff, GreyGreek! Finding my way, thanks for help.

Comment

Dictionary Widget

That's what KFN is all about! [emoji3]
                (We’ve all needed help at one time or another!)
                Last edited by GreyGeek; Jul 07, 2018, 05:54 AM.

Comment

Working...
                X