This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] stable backports repository? Also autoremove, byobu not working

Is there a stable backports repository yet for 18.04? The postings I've read don't make it clear, to me. Things I've read mix Neon and Kubuntu in discussions.

Secondly neither "autoremove" nor "byobu" remove older kernels. It appears to me that the problem is the older kernels are not getting tagged as no longer needed.

The ppas are the same as usual

The bsckports ppa:
    https://launchpad.net/~kubuntu-ppa/+...untu/backports

And the updates ppa
    https://launchpad.net/~kubuntu-ppa/+archive/ubuntu/ppa

Not much of anything there at the moment as the current updates are already in the normal repos.

Autoremove keeps the current kernel plus the most recent previous version so you have a back up to boot to Just In Case.

I have no idea what byobu has to do with kernel or package management.

If you want to delete the older one you have to do so by manually specifying packages.

Sent from my LG-H931 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by claydoh; Jun 23, 2018, 04:42 PM.

Comment

What does
      Code:
      dpkg -l | grep "ii  linux-image"
      show?
      Kubuntu 20.04

Comment

Thanks for the ppa info.
        As to the second question I posted:

Code:
        l-k@l-k1804:~$ dpkg -l | grep "ii  linux-image"
        ii  linux-image-4.15.0-23-generic                   4.15.0-23.25                                amd64        Signed kernel image generic
        ii  linux-image-4.15.0-24-generic                   4.15.0-24.26                                amd64        Signed kernel image generic
        ii  linux-image-generic                             4.15.0.24.26                                amd64        Generic Linux kernel image
        or:

Code:
        l-k@l-k1804:~$ dpkg -l | grep linux-image | awk '{print$2}'
        linux-image-4.15.0-20-generic
        linux-image-4.15.0-21-generic
        linux-image-4.15.0-22-generic
        linux-image-4.15.0-23-generic
        linux-image-4.15.0-24-generic
        linux-image-generic
        I had thought the output from the second script meant all of those were installed. So I looked at the package manager and in fact the first script suggested by chimak111 gives the right result.
        Partly I thought the old ones were not being purged because the size of my root partition is nearly 10 GiB in 18.04, while with 16.04 it never got over 7 GiB with pretty much the same stuff installed.

Comment

If I leave out the awk bit I get
          Code:
          $ dpkg -l | grep linux-image
          rc  linux-image-4.15.0-20-generic                   4.15.0-20.21                                amd64        Signed kernel image generic
          ii  linux-image-4.15.0-22-generic                   4.15.0-22.24                                amd64        Signed kernel image generic
          ii  linux-image-4.15.0-23-generic                   4.15.0-23.25                                amd64        Signed kernel image generic
          ii  linux-image-generic                             4.15.0.23.25                                amd64        Generic Linux kernel image
          $
          And the "rc" indicates a residual config file.

If you want to get rid of all residual config files,
          Code:
          dpkg -l | grep '^rc' | awk '{print $2}' | sudo xargs dpkg --purge
          should do the trick.

But when I'm prompted to autoremove old kernels, I prefer to purge the files listed by autoremove. Saves the subsequent step of removing residual config files.
          Kubuntu 20.04

Comment

Working...
          X