This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] Grub work around?

When I boot my 18.04 computer it always comes up with Grub even though 18.04 is the only thing installed.
    If I do nothing it chooses the highlighted line in a few seconds.

Is there a way I can make it skip this grub selection process?

Thanks
    Greg
    W9WD

It looks like the GRUB file changed in 18.04 versus 14.04, but ...
    In 18.04, open /etc/default/grub, mine at the top looks like this:

Code:
    # If you change this file, run 'update-grub' afterwards to update
    # /boot/grub/grub.cfg.
    # For full documentation of the options in this file, see:
    #   info -f grub -n 'Simple configuration'

GRUB_DEFAULT=0
    GRUB_TIMEOUT_STYLE=hidden
    GRUB_TIMEOUT=10
    GRUB_DISTRIBUTOR=`lsb_release -i -s 2> /dev/null || echo Debian`
    GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash"
    GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX=""
    What about this line:
    GRUB_TIMEOUT_STYLE=hidden
    Do you have a comment # sign in front of that line? If so, maybe try removing it (you can always go back in and un-remove it! )
    That's the only line I'm seeing that seems to control this, but I have not edited GRUB for many years.
    An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Here's what mine currently looks like...

# If you change this file, run 'update-grub' afterwards to update
      # /boot/grub/grub.cfg.
      # For full documentation of the options in this file, see:
      # info -f grub -n 'Simple configuration'

GRUB_DEFAULT=0
      GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT=0
      GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT_QUIET=true
      GRUB_TIMEOUT=10
      GRUB_DISTRIBUTOR=`lsb_release -i -s 2> /dev/null || echo Debian`
      GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash"
      GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX=""

# Uncomment to enable BadRAM filtering, modify to suit your needs
      # This works with Linux (no patch required) and with any kernel that obtains
      # the memory map information from GRUB (GNU Mach, kernel of FreeBSD ...)
      #GRUB_BADRAM="0x01234567,0xfefefefe,0x89abcdef,0xe fefefef"

# Uncomment to disable graphical terminal (grub-pc only)
      #GRUB_TERMINAL=console

# The resolution used on graphical terminal
      # note that you can use only modes which your graphic card supports via VBE
      # you can see them in real GRUB with the command `vbeinfo'
      #GRUB_GFXMODE=640x480

# Uncomment if you don't want GRUB to pass "root=UUID=xxx" parameter to Linux
      #GRUB_DISABLE_LINUX_UUID=true

# Uncomment to disable generation of recovery mode menu entries
      #GRUB_DISABLE_RECOVERY="true"

# Uncomment to get a beep at grub start
      #GRUB_INIT_TUNE="480 440 1"
      Greg
      W9WD

Comment

Greg, it seems to me that your setting look good, mainly:
        GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT=0
        I thought that ensures you get no menu.
        I've heard this feature can be buggy or more complicated when you are dual-booting.
        See here, under the section /etc/default/grub:
        https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Gr...iguring_GRUB_2
        An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Just curious, Greg, do you have a dual boot with other operating system(s)?

Comment

I have a second hard drive that I can boot to (Win 5) by doing a selection (F12) at boot time.
            But this drive has only 18.04.

Can grub just be deleted?
            Last edited by GregM; Aug 12, 2018, 06:40 AM.
            Greg
            W9WD

Comment

Changed
              GRUB_TIMEOUT=10...to...GRUB_TIMEOUT=0
              It made no difference.
              I did notice that it listed Win 7 at the bottom of the list of selections
              Greg
              W9WD

Comment

Because you have another disk/OS on that machine, GRUB is giving you the menu.

Can grub just be deleted?
                No! Not unless you have some other way to get booted into your operating system(s) when you turn the computer on. (You CAN get rid of GRUB, technically speaking, but you must have some other bootloader in place and ready to go--like rEFInd if you have a UEFI system).

I wouldn't let that GRUB menu bother you too much. You can reduce the timeout that GRUB shows you that menu, maybe try this:

Code:
                GRUB_TIMEOUT=10...to...GRUB_TIMEOUT=3
                Oh, I see you tried GRUB_TIMEOUT=0, but you still see a GRUB menu? And that menu shows you only (K)Ubuntu? Hmmm. I wonder if the GRUB issue is a buggy thing for 18.04. However, I do see posts in the past (2014-2017) where people have had touchy issues with seeing or not-seeing the GRUB menu upon booting the PC.

Not sure. I'm trying to SEE my GRUB menu (although I have only one disk with one operating system), and it refuses to show it to me!

We'll have to continue to play with this, and maybe someone else more GRUB-current might have an idea. This problem is worth solving, I believe.

Comment

Originally posted by Qqmike View Post
                  Because you have another disk/OS on that machine, GRUB is giving you the menu.

Oh, I see you tried GRUB_TIMEOUT=0, but you still see a GRUB menu? And that menu shows you only (K)Ubuntu? Hmmm. .
                  At the bottom of grub choices it lists the drive with Win 7 on it.
                  I'll change the
                  GRUB_TIMEOUT=10...to...GRUB_TIMEOUT=1

and see if that helps
                  Greg
                  W9WD

Comment

Changing it to GRUB_TIMEOUT=1 did it.
                    I do not see it at boot up now.
                    Hooray!
                    Greg
                    W9WD

Comment

Good. And good riddance to your GRUB menu! I'm going to play with this as I have time, to see if I can make my GRUB menu appear. I might just copy your /etc/default/grub menu and use that, at least the top part.

Having flash backs to the old days (circa 2005-2010), regarding a statement like
                      GRUB_TIMEOUT=0
                      We used to advise people against that just in case you needed time to press some key for some reason during boot up, like even your =1 second or perhaps =2 seconds gives you some time, if needed.

Glad you got it.

Comment

Greg, I solved mine, too, and will post as a separate thread topic as it may be useful to someone.

Wanna mark your thread Solved (under Thread Tools above Post #1, if you are logged in -- I think you already know about this, don't mean to assume you don't!).

Comment

Working...
                        X