Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

how to move Thunderbird from Windows 7 to Kubuntu 16.04?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

how to move Thunderbird from Windows 7 to Kubuntu 16.04?

Dear All,

I allready have been looking "1000" of websites and tutorials, but it didn't helped me to move Thunderbird from Windows 7 to Kubuntu 16.04. I read that it is enough to move the xxx.default file, sometime it was written that the profile.ini file is also important and seldomly that Thunderbird profile manager could help very easily but without any indication.
    After I moved my xxx.default file and my profile.ini file, I changed the path in this last file. When I click on Thunderbird, it asks me if I want to create an account. I answer "no" and nothing happens.

I also write that:
    Code:
    auie@uwe:~$ ls -l .thunderbird
    insgesamt 12
    drwxrwxr-x  5 auie auie 4096 Dez 10 15:30 Crash Reports
    drwxrwxr-x 23 auie auie 4096 Dez 10 15:35 d78we7e3.default
    -rw-r--r--  1 auie auie  113 Dez 10 15:30 profiles.ini
    auie@uwe:~$
    I would be very happy to be helped :-)

Did you find this: https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb...a-new-computer
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Thank you Snowhog for your answer!
      In your link, it's written that
      Copying all your Thunderbird email data

You can copy your data to a new computer (or other location) by copying your Profile Folder and then telling Thunderbird where to find your Profile Folder.

Find the existing name and location of your Profile Folder by selecting "Help > Troubleshooting Information" in the Thunderbird menu. Then look for "Profile Folder" and click on the Show Folder button. This will display the path of names starting with parent folders and ending with the name of your Profile Folder.
      But the window shows "Profile directory", at the right of which I could theoretically click on "open directory". But practically nothing happens.
      I don't see anything else in "Troubleshooting Information".

Comment

Yes, it’s written for a user on a Windows machine, but it may help lead you to the correct procedure once you have the copied content pasted in to Linux.
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Thanks Snowhog. Indeed I also read "to common questions about Thunderbird, check out our support website. ", but when I click on "support website", I arrive to the link you proposed at the begining.
          I could also use a copy through gmail, which I already made for the e-mails of a few email-addresses. But I*don't want to feed Google with all my messages.

Comment

It is simply enough to move your xxx.default folder by copying from the Win machine to your Linux machine in any number of ways. Perhaps the easiest would be to copy it to USB drive, boot to Linux, make a folder in your Home folder called ".thunderbird" - minus quotes - if it's not there already. Copy the xxx.default folder there. In dolphin, right-click on the xxx.default folder, go to permissions, and set them all to your user account. If there is another xxx.default folder already there, just delete it. Launch Thunderbird and you're all set. It's really that easy.
            Last edited by dequire; Dec 11, 2017, 03:02 PM.
            ​"Keep it between the ditches"
            K*Digest Blog
            K*Digest on Twitter

Comment

Working...
            X