This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

usb-creator issue?

Yep, I'm behind the times running 16.04 - but trying to make a live USB stick with 16.10 - *and persistent*. The handiest and clearest 'howto' is: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/LiveUsbPendrivePersistent, Ubuntu but purports applicable to kubuntu too, and OLD! 8.10 Intrepid. It says usb-creator-gtk has a slider to set the size of a persistence file. I'd suspect 8.10 Kubuntu would also have had this. My earliest CD is 9.10 Jaunty (Ubuntu), and that doesn't have usb-creator-gtk. Its drivers also don't know my more modern hardware so I can't get it from the 'net. 16.04's usb-creator(-kde) doesn't show the slider, so will only generate a non-persistent stick. Did that slider and facility exist beyond 8.10, when did it disappear, and can we pleeeze get it back? I'm sick and tired of booting back to windblows to re-learn it so I can fully clean the stick (essential step not possible by Kubi) and run UUI.
    Hopeful...

Try Unetbootin ... it works, is up to date and has a persistence option. Either download one of the binary 'bin' files and extract the executable and put somewhere in your path (suggest /usr/local/bin) or install via the ppa.
    Desktop PC: Intel Core-i5-4670 3.40Ghz, 16Gb Crucial ram, Asus H97-Plus MB, 128Gb Crucial SSD + 2Tb Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 HDD running Kubuntu 18.04 LTS and Kubuntu 14.04 LTS (on SSD).
    Laptop: HP EliteBook 8460p Core-i5-2540M, 4Gb ram, Transcend 120Gb SSD, currently running Deepin 15.8 and Manjaro KDE 18.

Comment

Why don't you just install to the USB stick as if it was a hard disk drive. Todays fast USB3 drives and fast flash drives such as SanDisk Extreme have surpassed the usb-creator method. Personally I just clone a PC partition on to the flash drive https://youtu.be/l9MFxbUI_9Q

Comment

+1 to what hallengard said. That way you have a full, permanent instillation of Kubuntu on your flash drive, from which you can do anything--run it as an OS, run it as you would a live USB for rescue operations, storing as much as you want on it (subject to the size of the flash drive), and so on.
        An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

IF you want a live-USB with the installer and all with persistence,,,,,,(the installer gets removed when you do an actual install) ,,,,,,,look hear

post 6-7

https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showth...l=1#post395533

VINNY
          i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
          16GB RAM
          Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Originally posted by hallergard View Post
            ... Personally I just clone a PC partition on to the flash drive https://youtu.be/l9MFxbUI_9Q
            +1, and quite a display of Linux prowess, I would add!
            "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
            – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

A bit of a delay, but back on the trail, and back to basics. I dug out a trusty 'Trusty' CD, and from that was able to create a persistent 14.04 stick then updated. All OK until updating to 16.04, then pfffft! - grub gone . Creating a HD partition to clone went the same way, probably because the only spare space I have is on a 2TB USB drive. 16.04 onwards definitely does not like USB, possibly anything beyond 14.04 likewise. It'll take a bit of 'noodling' to get some stuff off the 'host' 1TB SATA drive to try again, but meanwhile I've got a non-persistent 16.04 to do an install elsewhere should I really need to... Now taking a break for the festive follies. Happy bah humbug, all.

Comment

Working...
              X