This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kubuntu 16.04 audio stuttering

So as the title says, I'm getting strange audio stutter pretty frequently. This happens on a range of once every 30 seconds to 2 minutes and is very disruptive. This has only happened with Kubuntu 16.04, I've never had the issue with previous version of Kubuntu or other distros with this hardware. My sound cards are the sound card integrated into the Asus Z97 Pro motherboard and also the Asus Xonar DG PCIe soundcard. This happens with both audio devices and I have no idea how to fix this. If it gives anyone an idea, when I play Dying Light and this happens it actually corrupts the current audio being played until I switch to a different audio track (for example, the pause menu). The stutter plays the previous fraction of a second too is what I have found

Welll....I found these about "the system" stuff and about "Chrome"

The first uses almost the same terms that you posted as to time, etc.

http://askubuntu.com/questions/717015/audio-stuttering

and this

http://askubuntu.com/questions/16061...n-ubuntu-12-04

BUT, I also found some threads , because of the search terms, about similar problems of "stuttering", "crackling", "weird noises" on phones because of....Chrome but also.....because of Bluetooth and "4G"

So, I formerly downloaded music using a wired connexion and I am now on WiFi, so, I'm going to try it with a wired connexion.

I don't use Chrome btw.

I'm sure that someone will pop by shortly with a better answer.

woodsmoke
    Last edited by woodsmoke; May 18, 2016, 11:28 AM.

Comment

@woodsmoke, thank you so much for your suggestions! The solution for my problem was in your first link, where I had to delete the ~/.config/pulse directory and its contents and reboot. I've been finding small bugs here and there since I installed Kubuntu 16.04. My major issue is I did backups that backed up all the config files of Kubuntu 15.10, Kubuntu Neon 15.10, and Kubuntu Neon 16.04 and I've been fixing small problems since then. Mainly the solution has been deleting these config files as I go

Comment

I spoke too soon...they're just far less frequent and a shorter timespan...I'll try the other suggestions and update

Comment

Hi,

I have the same problem on Dell OptiPlex 7010 and built-in sound card as well as USB nuforce udac.
          I tried to disable all other audio devices but it does nothing.
          Problems occurs with browsers (streaming services) and in Amarok, so it's not flash issue.

Any ideas?

Comment

Hey PorkOne,

So I know this probably isn't a cool solution, but I found the fix was to reinstall the OS. I distro hopped a lot, and my backed up user configs followed along and that caused a mess I think. I ended up just backing up my files (Documents, Pictures, Videos, etc) and leaving the rest. No more audio cutting out! Give it a try

Comment

Thanks for advice @stratacast but it's not possible in my case, too much time to lose...
              Maybe one future updates fix it or some good soul find solutions

Comment

Does the audio stutter with a live cd / usb image? It could be a hardware issue, after all.
                ​"Keep it between the ditches"
                K*Digest Blog
                K*Digest on Twitter

Comment

It's clean installation on SSD with full encryption enabled, no additional home encryption.
                  It's not hardware issue because the same problem appears when I use on-board sound card and external USB DAC, seems to be kubuntu's audio engine issue - phonom, gstreamer or something like this.

Comment

Originally posted by PorkOne View Post
                    Thanks for advice @stratacast but it's not possible in my case, too much time to lose...
                    Maybe one future updates fix it or some good soul find solutions
                    Yeah I understand, I had to go for that month (almost 2) just dealing with it. You said it's a clean install, is it clean as in you didn't back up and import any ~/.config or ~/.local, etc files from a previous distro or older version of Kubuntu?

Comment

Originally posted by stratacast View Post
                      Yeah I understand, I had to go for that month (almost 2) just dealing with it. You said it's a clean install, is it clean as in you didn't back up and import any ~/.config or ~/.local, etc files from a previous distro or older version of Kubuntu?
                      It's completely clean without copying anything from older system.

Comment

Working...
                      X