This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cant save as file in folder with same name

Hello, If I select "save as" in Kate with a file named, for example, Kubuntu and try and save it in a different location with a folder already named Kubuntu it just opens the folder and wont let me save it there or even sometime i get an error saying there is already a file with that name!
    Design flaw or am i missing something?
    Last edited by Bladeforce; Sep 03, 2015, 10:17 AM.

Not overwriting a folder with a file is by design. Opening the folder is the programmers trying to be helpful and assuming you wanted to go in there. If a file with the same name exists it will ask if you want to overwrite it; again this seems sensible to me.

[edit]It will quite happily save the file in the folder once opened if that's what you mean. For example as Kubuntu/Kubuntu[/edit]
    Last edited by elijathegold; Sep 03, 2015, 10:42 AM.
    If you're sitting wondering,
    Which Batman is the best,
    There's only one true answer my friend,
    It's Adam Bloody West!

Comment

I have a desktop file which is after all just a text file and it wont let me save it next a folder with the same name? I fail to see why it's helpful in my case. Is there any way of switching that annoyance off please?
      It causes an extra operation to cut and paste it back into the correct folder which is hardly helpful

Comment

are you giving the file Kubuntu a .txt extension in the "save as" dialog and it still will not save it next to a folder named Kubuntu ?

I will try this in a few hours (im in 15.10 ATM) ,,,,,,will boot to 14.04 later

VINNY

edit: oops just notesd you said "desktop file" so it has .desktop already I assume ,,,,,will still try
        Last edited by vinnywright; Sep 03, 2015, 02:29 PM.
        i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
        16GB RAM
        Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

ya , kate is assuming you want in the folder of the same name as shown by the / it will append to the Kubuntu if you type it in the "name" Field if you add a .txt .desktop .whatever it will save

VINNY
          i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
          16GB RAM
          Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Working...
          X