X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fonts on root look different

Hi everyone,

After using Ubuntu with Unity for a long time I decided to switch to Kubuntu since KDE is the only desktop which is running smooth and fast without lags and stuttering. Now I use Kubuntu 14.04 LTS for couple of days and it works fine but I have a minor issue that I tended for being fixed.

When opening a program with root privileges the font looks different from the font that my user is using. I'm using the Droid Sans font. I've tried to fix it with to open systemsettings as root from a terminal and change the fonts there but for some reason the changes doesn't work. When I go the config file kdeglobals at /root/.kde/share/config the file indeed changed the font to Droid Sans but for some reason the program still uses the old font.

Is this a bug?

Greetings,
    Allard

Log out.
    At the KDE Login press Ctrl+Alt+F1 and login.
    Type: sudo rm /var/tmp/kdecache-root/*
    Type: exit
    Press: Ctrl+Alt+F7 (or F8) to return to the KDE Login.
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

AFAIK, If you aren't using default fonts or icons the root will look different because it will use the default. You could probably figure out how to change it to match yours but I would suggest not doing that. Having a different look to Dolphin, for example, will make it more obvious when you're in root mode and thus more likely to do damage.

Frankly, if you're using root so much you're bugged by the font you might want to reconsider your working methods. Again - just a suggestion.

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
        Log out.
        At the KDE Login press Ctrl+Alt+F1 and login.
        Type: sudo rm /var/tmp/kdecache-root/*
        Type: exit
        Press: Ctrl+Alt+F7 (or F8) to return to the KDE Login.
        Thanks both for the replies. Unfortunately it didn't worked. I think I'm going to follow oshunluvr's advice and leave it as it is , like I said it's a minor issue.

Comment

The solution is to run "kdesudo systemsettings", and set the root app appearance options (including fonts) there. Note that you might not notice the chances made in the root systemsettings window right away, but they will kick in for newly started applications, or at least after logout/login.

Comment

Working...
          X