This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

bugs? [system tray, korganizer, plasma desktop weirdness]

just as I was beginning to think 'hey, Trusty is surprisingly bug-free'.... well, here's a list of strange things I've noticed since upgrading.

1. Ok, this first one might not even be a bug, but it sure is strange.
    This evening I left my laptop idling with no windows open or anything at all happening, and went away to do some other stuff. When I returned I could hear that the fan was whirring away, and conky showed that the CPU usage was around 27%. I kept watching it for a while without touching anything, and the CPU stayed around that level. I opened the task manager to see what process was the culprit, and the instant I did so the CPU usage dropped to a normal level and the fan span down. I went away and left the laptop idling again.
    Came back after a while and once more, fan whirring away and CPU stuck at 27%. Opened the task manager. CPU and fan went back to normal.
    Again left it idling, came back, same problem. This time I noticed that it went back to normal almost as soon as I moved the mouse pointer. It seems that as soon as the system is doing nothing else, some CPU-intensive process starts up, but the moment any activity occurs it stops and lets me get back to work. This has only been happening since the upgrade...
    update: I tried leaving the task manager open to see if I could 'catch' the process that's responsible (I have it ordered by CPU usage). and here's the creepy thing... conky was showing the CPUs at 27% and 38% respectively, yet the top few processes were only using 1%. either one of the CPU monitors is inaccurate, or there's a ghost in the computer o_o

2. Something that's really been driving me crazy is the erratic behaviour of the system tray. It's misbehaving so much I don't even know where to begin in describing the problem.
    I like to have a fairly minimal system tray with just email, battery, sound and wifi indicators. When I upgraded to Trusty I discovered there were a heap of extra items in the system tray which weren't there before. I'm not sure whether they were there all along and I'd just configured it so they weren't shown, or whether they're new (I'm thinking particularly of the 'ibus' and 'application update' indicators, which I swear I've never seen before).
    I wanted to uncheck some of the options under "shown item categories" in the system tray settings (which is what I did previously to customise it), but it seems like none of these settings are actually working properly. The items listed under "entries" don't appear to update until I log out and in again/restart, and if I change ANYTHING in the settings and apply, it reverts to the default settings and shows everything in the system tray, even if the setting I changed was actually to hide something. The only way I can then fix this is to restart/log out. There's a heap of other erratic behavior too but I think I've made my point :P

3. I've only noticed this since my first restart after upgrading...
    When I log in, a bizarre little window appears in the top left corner of the screen which seems to be plasma-desktop thinking it needs to have a window. It actually appears in my taskbar as 'plasma-desktop'. I think I recall reading about a similar bug somewhere so possibly this is a known issue, although if so I'm kind of surprised it hasn't been fixed yet. It's only slightly annoying - I can just close it. Weird though!

4. On opening the KOrganizer calendar for the first time since upgrading I saw a new feature has been added which I've been wanting for some time: the ability to add your own custom categories to events. I painstakingly went through adding custom categories to all my events and color coding them. After logging out and in again to fix that system tray problem I mentioned earlier, I discovered all my colors for custom categories had been reset to the default (a sickly shade of light green). This has happened several times now and I've pretty much given up. Custom colors for default categories (like appointment, special occasion, personal etc) remain correct.

P.S. Trusty is great though. Really.
    Last edited by dbaker; Apr 23, 2014, 07:02 AM.
    "Stella", HP Pavilion 15-ak006TX: KDE Neon User Edition dual-booted with Windows 10, 8gb RAM, Intel i7-6700HQ CPU, NVIDIA GeForce GTX950M graphics, 2 TB hard drive

well I figured out what the mystery window was, at least. It seems to have been iBus, and I had to right-click on it and modify some preferences to stop it from appearing every time I logged in. Bizarre.
    The system tray seems to have settled down a little bit, but I'm still highly wary of it. The other issues remain (particularly that calendar one arrghhh!)

For now, I'm adopting a policy of frequent restarts to fix issues. I hope this becomes unnecessary soon.
    "Stella", HP Pavilion 15-ak006TX: KDE Neon User Edition dual-booted with Windows 10, 8gb RAM, Intel i7-6700HQ CPU, NVIDIA GeForce GTX950M graphics, 2 TB hard drive

Comment

looks like I can't expect to get any replies on here so I'll just keep posting solutions if I find them, in case anyone else is having the same problem.

I'd hardly call this a solution though...
      The CPU problem might have something to do with Baloo. I've been reading threads about it causing excessive HD activity and thought it was worth trying killing it and seeing what happened, even though the issue here is with the CPU not the HD.
      I killed 'baloo-file' or whatever it's called, and the CPU does seem to be behaving normally now. It's not an acceptable long-term solution though, since baloo-file restarts every time I log in.

Comment

Working...
      X