This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KTorrent, DHT, qBitTorrent

I started downloading some public domain stuff with KTorrent. It gave me some warning to the effect of, "DHT is not turned on. For the best performance, turn it on." I had heard that DHT caused atrocities such as birth defects, gangrene, and the desire to watch Miley Cyrus perform. Knowing these risks, should I use DHT in KTorrent? It appears to be working just fine without it. I've always bought organic produce from the farmer's market to avoid crap like DHT.

I have another torrent client installed also, one named qBitTorrent. However, if I click on a torrent link, KTorrent always comes up. How do I download something with qBitTorrent instead of KTorrent just to see which one I like best? And does qBitTorrent try to rope you into using dangerous preservatives like KTorrent does?
    Kubuntu 22.04 (desktop & laptop), Windows 7 &2K (via VirtualBox on desktop PC)
    ================================

System Settings > File Associations and search on torrent. Click on the > next to application. In General > Application Preference Order highlight qBitTorrent and move it to the top of the list.
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

I think that warning can be turned off or will go away ......I use Ktorrent all the time do not use DHT and do not get any silly warning about it or have any adverse affects because of it .

VINNY

O and in addition to @Snowhog's advice ,,,, if you save the torrent file insted of "open with" you could right click it and "open with" and chose who to open it with
      Last edited by vinnywright; Sep 07, 2013, 10:43 AM.
      i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
      16GB RAM
      Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Thanks for the help. It's been working. However, I ran into another wrinkle. I have an external hard drive specifically for torrent data. I've downloaded stuff to it in Windows (with uTorrent) for quite some time. However, in Linux the drive loses its mount at some point for some reason in mid transmission. I would think that data actively flowing to it would keep it mounted. In Windows the drive simply remains mounted indefinitely. Is there something in Kubuntu where I can tell it, "This drive that you just mounted -- KEEP it mounted until I say otherwise."

I came back disappointed that my torrent wasn't downloaded thanks to a drive dismount. When I downloaded it to my internal hard drive, everything went smoothly.

Comment

that dose sound strange ,,, some external drives will shut down after so long a idle time ,,,,,,but this sounds weird.
          it should stay mounted once it is unless you have some off the wall mount options specified I think.

how do you mount it ?

VINNY
          16GB RAM

Comment

Originally posted by vinnywright View Post
            that dose sound strange ,,, some external drives will shut down after so long a idle time ,,,,,,but this sounds weird.
            it should stay mounted once it is unless you have some off the wall mount options specified I think.

how do you mount it ?

VINNY
            I just click on it in Dolphin.

Comment

whats the make and model of the drive ?

I'll look it up and see if I can find if it has the shut down "feature" ,,,,,,,I do not think it should be unmounting it's self if it dose not .

VINNY
              16GB RAM

Comment

It's a Seagate Freeagent GoFlex 1 TB external drive, but I think the culprit might be a sneaky little cat named Rosey.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I noticed the surge protector (plug-strip style) under my desk was turned off. The Seagate drive, of course, was plugged into that. Rosey likes to make herself at home under my desk amongst the spaghetti configuration of wires even though I constantly shoo her out of there. I think she probably stepped on the off switch.

Comment

suffering catastrophic failure then ................

VINNY
                  16GB RAM

Comment

Lol...

Please Read Me

Comment

Look at those beady black eyes and no chin -- who could trust that face? I wouldn't leave her alone with my silverware for 10 seconds .... LOL

Comment

A spaghetti-tangle of power cords and a cat... the purrrfect storm.

UbuntuGuide/KubuntuGuide

Right now the killer is being surrounded by a web of deduction, forensic science,
                        and the latest in technology such as two-way radios and e-mail.

Comment

Working...
                        X