This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Play Track" Greyed Out in k3b

In k3b, I can not click "Play Track" to hear a song. I tried to google the problem, and found a bug report that the function was not merged in phonon yet. That was almost a year and a half ago, so surely it was merged by now. I even tried the VLC back end, but it made no difference.
    CPU: Intel Core i7 2600K
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H
    Memory: 2x4GB Corsair Dominator
    Graphics Card: MSI R7770
    Monitor: Dell 2208WFP
    Mouse: Mionix NAOS 5000
    PSU: Corsair 520HX
    Case: Thermaltake Mozart TX
    Cooling: Thermalright TRUE Black Ultra-120 eXtreme CPU Heatsink Rev C
    Hard Drives: 1x180 GB Intel 330 SSD - 1xWD 1 TB Caviar Black - 1xWD 2 TB Caviar Green - 2xWD 3 TB Caviar Green

I don't personally use the function but its often an issue with not having the restricted formats installed. Install the package "kubuntu-restricted-extras" with say "sudo apt-get install kubuntu-restricted-extras"

Here is a nice link explaining things:
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RestrictedFormats

Comment

Originally posted by dmeyer View Post
      I don't personally use the function but its often an issue with not having the restricted formats installed. Install the package "kubuntu-restricted-extras" with say "sudo apt-get install kubuntu-restricted-extras"

Here is a nice link explaining things:
      https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RestrictedFormats
      Thank's but I already have that installed. It is not a codec issue because it happens with FLAC which is not a "bad" codec as far as I know, it happens with MP3 and AAC. Haven't tried any other formats. I mostly work with FLAC only.
      Hard Drives: 1x180 GB Intel 330 SSD - 1xWD 1 TB Caviar Black - 1xWD 2 TB Caviar Green - 2xWD 3 TB Caviar Green

Comment

Originally posted by Xplorer4x4 View Post
        Thank's but I already have that installed. It is not a codec issue because it happens with FLAC which is not a "bad" codec as far as I know, it happens with MP3 and AAC. Haven't tried any other formats. I mostly work with FLAC only.
        Sorry I was just doing a routine solution. You'd be surprised how often errors can be fixed by running that 1 command. Maybe run k3b via the terminal, then try play the file, close the program and output the contents here.

Comment

I understand. Actually, I did have that installed prior to upgrading from precise to quantal(I ran the command just to make sure after I posted). I even rebooted(system told me to reboot, not sure if it was from the restricted package or something else). No luck though. Here the terminal but I am nto seeing anything useful:
          plorer4x4@xplorer4x4-MS-7673:~$ k3b
          QDBusConnection: session D-Bus connection created before QCoreApplication. Application may misbehave.
          QDBusConnection: session D-Bus connection created before QCoreApplication. Application may misbehave.
          KGlobal::locale::Warning your global KLocale is being recreated with a valid main component instead of a fake component, this usually means you tried to call i18n related functions before your main component was created. You should not do that since it most likely will not work
          Fontconfig warning: "/etc/fonts/conf.d/50-user.conf", line 9: reading configurations from ~/.fonts.conf is deprecated.
          xplorer4x4@xplorer4x4-MS-7673:~$ K3bQProcess::QProcess(0x0)
          K3bQProcess::QProcess(0x0)
          k3b(4253)/kdeui (kdelibs): Attempt to use QAction "view_projects" with KXMLGUIFactory!
          k3b(4253)/kdeui (kdelibs): Attempt to use QAction "view_dir_tree" with KXMLGUIFactory!
          k3b(4253)/kdeui (kdelibs): Attempt to use QAction "view_contents" with KXMLGUIFactory!
          k3b(4253)/kdeui (kdelibs): Attempt to use QAction "location_bar" with KXMLGUIFactory!

Comment

hmm noting really stands out for me. I'm not on my Kubuntu machine but there is something like a special extra codecs thing for k3b specifically: "sudo apt-get install libk3b6-extracodecs" or something like that. Is that installed?

I know on openSUSE its called "k3b-codecs" and is available from the packman repos.

Comment

I believe the extracodecs is the proper name, but yes, I actually double checked that package earlier. I really don't think it has anything to do with codecs. Plus, if that were the case, it would seem like k3b would present a pop up saying install this or that package. I am wondering if this traces back to the bug I mentioned.

Comment

Hmm, well it works fine here in openSUSE 12.2 so I have a hunch its a packaging problem. Unfortunately I don't have my Kubuntu machine nearby to check with. Also the pop-up comes up but you can dismiss it and dismiss it forever. A dismiss forever as you can imagine does exactly that. Pity, maybe its something from the backend. The VLC backend has always been the best for video etc for me but gstreamer has always been the best for audio. VLC backend sometimes doesn't play very friendly with Amarok even though as a whole VLC is better.

Well I guess you'll just have to hope somebody more experienced comes along who has solved this problem before.

Comment

Well if you say it works in Suse, then maybe it is a package problem. Now that you mention it, I *believe* this function worked when I used to use the k3b-git builds from the kde-goodies ppa, I think this worked, but I would think those changes would have been pushed to stable by now.

If only there was something comparable to k3b. I have always had problems with k3b in some form or another.

Comment

Yeah k3b is really good. A lot of KDE applications are just amazing and in their own league but people don't always use them, probably due to lack of exposure. The smaller user-base in turn leads to more bugs. More bugs means less user and the vicious cycle continues. KDE just needs to scale back on the billion-and-1 projects and made regain some focus and get more polished which they have largely done but still.

Anyways, best of luck getting k3b working. I got nothing left.

Comment

I wanted to add more info to this should any one else notice this problem. Turns out it is indeed a bug in K3B where it is not using Phonon and totally bypassed Pulseaudio.

https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=312046

Comment

Working...
                      X