This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is there a problem with unetbootin?

I tried to use unetbootin but I was asked for my administrative password and when I enter my root password I get an error. I re-installed using synaptics and get the same error. Is used to work fine.

Thanks,

Michel

You don't need the root password. Just use your normal password if you are in the sudoers group.

Comment

Thanks. I use the same password for both.

Michel

Comment

Originally posted by michel View Post
        Thanks. I use the same password for both.

Michel
        Ah ok. Might you explain why you enabled the root account? Its very abnormal for people to use it, especially in Ubuntu and its derivatives like Kubuntu.

Comment

Sorry for the confusion. I was entering my user password. I get confused because it is the same one.

Michel

Comment

Have you tried running Unetbootin from the command line withe kdesudo/kdesu? What is the error?

Comment

This is the error I get:

michel@michel-Satellite-L650:~$ sudo unetbootin
              [sudo] password for michel:
              Error: "/var/tmp/kdecache-michel" is owned by uid 1000 instead of uid 0.
              Thanks,

Michel

Comment

Originally posted by michel View Post
                This is the error I get:

Thanks,

Michel
                DO NOT RUN GUI APPS WITH SUDO! It can cause problems.

Comment

OK but if I run unetbootin as a user I get the screen asking me for the password (three times) and then an error message same as if I was launching the application from the menu.

Click image for larger version

Name:	snapshot2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	34.6 KB
ID:	640290

Michel

Comment

I found this information it recommends adding kdesu before the command line /usr/bin/unetbootin. It works as with sudo but before marking the subject "Solved" I need to know:

- If unetbootin is working properly (I am having problems creating a bootable USB)
                    - Why was it working perfectly before without kdesu?

Thanks,

Michel
                    Last edited by michel; Mar 11, 2013, 12:58 PM.

Comment

Code:
                      [b]kdesudo[/b] [i]some-GUI-program[/i]
                      is perfectly fine.

Code:
                      [b]sudo[/b] [i]some-GUI-program[/i]
                      is to be avoided.

Comment

Got it Sudo will use root privileges but might use user's profile and could lead to problems. But why did I have to add Kdesudo to the command line in the first place when it used to work fine without it?

Thanks,

Michel

Comment

This is a bit weird, as unetbootin normally self-elevates. Try something for me. At a command prompt, please run
                          Code:
                          unetbootin
                          This is without any other command preface. Presumably, you'll still see the password prompt you describe in post #9. Just leave it on the screen.

Next, open another command shell and run the following:
                          Code:
                          ps -ef | grep unetbootin
                          Reply here with everything you see from the output of that command.

Comment

In order to be able to enter the command into the other shell, I had to enter passwords on the unetbootin form to get access to the new shell. results as follows:

Code:
                            michel@michel-Satellite-L650:~$ ps -ef | grep unetbootin
                            michel   21174     1  4 10:51 ?        00:00:01 /usr/bin/gksu /usr/bin/unetbootin 'rootcheck=no'
                            michel   21194 21097  0 10:51 pts/2    00:00:00 grep --color=auto unetbootin
                            Thanks,

Michel
                            Last edited by SteveRiley; Mar 13, 2013, 12:40 PM.

Comment

Hm. Yours is starting with the GNOME graphical sudo, not the KDE one. Here's mine:

Code:
                              steve@t520:~$ [B]ps -ef | grep unetbootin[/B]
                              steve    17816     1  2 10:18 ?        00:00:00 /usr/bin/kdesudo /usr/bin/unetbootin 'rootcheck=no'
                              root     17821 17816  0 10:18 ?        00:00:00 /usr/bin/sudo -H -S -p passprompt -- /usr/bin/unetbootin rootcheck=no
                              root     17822 17821  1 10:18 ?        00:00:00 /usr/bin/unetbootin rootcheck=no
                              I wonder why gksu is installed on your system. Perhaps it's the problem, but I doubt it. Let's find out why you have it, though. We'll simulate an uninstallation, and this will tell us whether something else on your computer requires it:

Code:
                              apt-get -s purge gksu
                              Reply here with the output of that.

Comment

Working...
                              X