This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I installed 12.04 64 bit, no sound now

The title says it all. The speaker in the task bar shows full volume. I have no sound at all. Everything worked fine with the 32 bit version of 12.04
    Last edited by lcharles; Jan 30, 2013, 12:36 PM.

Notes: I know the hardware is ok becasue I can boot into Windows and everything works fine. If I run:

larry1204@larry1204:~$ cat /proc/asound/card0/codec#* | grep Codec

I get:

Codec: Analog Devices AD1988

I could list all of the settings in the multimedia part of system settings if that would help.

In the multimedia section of system Settings under "Phonon" and then under "Audio hardware setup" if I test the speakers I get nothing.

Comment

Check your system settings > multimedia > Phonon and see if you have multiple sound devices listed under Audio Playback. If so, change the default device to be your sound card output using [prefer] and [defer] buttons to set the precedence, and then the [test] button to check it.

cheers,
      Bill
      sigpic
      A person who never made a mistake never tried anything new. --Albert Einstein

Comment

How are your speakers connected? I ask because I have the AD1988B and my digital hasn't worked since 9.04, but analog works fine. I got the digital to work with 10.04 by purging PluseAudio, but I haven't bothered with it since then.

Please Read Me

Comment

Check that the card is not muted (will still show a set volume) . sometimes the sound can be muted on the initial boot after install. if you are not muted and your not volume down / very low (inaudible) be sure that you have the correct device and connector selected in System Settings -> Mutimedia -> Phonon.

also be sure to let us know how it works out.
          Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
          (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

Well, mostly the problem is solved. First of all I am using the sound card on the Motherboard and my speakers are plugged into the analog audio output.

Under the "Audio Hardware Setup" tab I change the setting from "GF110 High definition audio controler" to "Built in audio controler" and "Apply" . Then under the "Devices preferences" tab I "prefer" the "Built in Analog Stereo" and "Apply". Then I go to the Volume speaker on the task bar. In "mixer" I can un-mute the "Built-in Audio Analog Stereo" and I get sound.

The glitch is every time I reboot the setting under the "Audio Hardware Setup" changes back to the GF110 setting, but this only seems to affect the test in the System Settings, which gives me no sound. Other wise the sound is still OK with everything else. I think this is what confused me when I started trying to trouble shoot this and I got no where.

I assume I should mark this thread "Solved" except I think there is a bug and it's out of my knowledge level to know how to document it and report it.

Anyway thanks for all the help. I'll await a response before I mark this as solved.

Comment

Ah well, it's been a week so I'll just mark it solved.

Comment

Working...
              X