Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Chromium has become unstable for me. You too?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chromium has become unstable for me. You too?

Since an update (not sure which) Chromium started crashing. The restore works OK, but I'd prefer not to have to use it.

Anyone else seeing the problem on their installation?
    Last edited by GreyGeek; Oct 13, 2012, 06:36 AM.
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

I've no problem with it (Chromium, Version 20.0.1132.47 Ubuntu 12.04 ( 144678 ).
    Last edited by Snowhog; Sep 27, 2012, 08:23 PM.
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

I am running the same version in Mint 13 with no problems -- without the adobe flash player update. Did you update?

Comment

I'm running the same version. It will freeze when dragging a tab, when pausing for a while while entering text in a text box, bringing up a new tab... then it just goes away. When I restart from the crash dialog and choose the restore option it will run OK for a while ... then bang! ... and we start over. It gives me no problems when playing YouTube videos or streaming videos.
        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

Is it related to KDE since it works on GNOME -- at least for 2 guys?

Comment

I got tired of the instability of my Chromium-browser, so I went to the launchpad buzilla. Someone posted that when they disabled the extensions stability returned. I did that and then restarted it. Instead of taking 15-20 seconds to display it appeared almost instantly and was very stable. After an hour of no crashes I turned on four extensions: switch to tab, tab to front, Google translate and Facebook no track. After four hours Chromium is running like I expected it to. Stable and fast.

So, I will turn on additional extensions until I find the one that is giving me the problems. I'l report back when I find it.

Comment

Turning off extensions restored the stability. I turned them back on one at a time. The stability remained. I now have only one turned off ... the ad blocker. It will stay off.

Comment

Chromium has continued to be unstable for me. Most annoying to click the post button on a G+ or KFN post only to have Chromium lock up and lose my writing.
                So, I installed Chrome. https://www.google.com/intl/en/chrome/browser/

So far, after several hours, no problems, no hangs. Chromium could never go this long. In fact, it usually crashed quickly after first running it, and would usually run for no more than 30 minutes before a hang which leads to a crash.

Oh, I've noticed that it is considerably faster than Chromium, even though it looks almost identical to Chromium.

Comment

I've had zero trouble using Chromium. It's my default browser (only, actually), and that is on my HP 64-bit 12.04.
                  Windows no longer obstructs my view.
                  Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
                  "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
                    I've had zero trouble using Chromium. It's my default browser (only, actually), and that is on my HP 64-bit 12.04.
                    The instability I have could be related to the extensions I've added. I tried disabling them all then adding them back in, one at a time, but the problem continued and I could not attach the problems to any particular extension. I have also re-installed it.

I've now used Chrome a couple days and haven't had a single hang or crash.

Comment

I wonder if chromium is stable under a clean profile? Could be the extension settings causing it to crash.

Comment

Working...
                      X