This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My desktops vanished

Today when I rebooted my system, all my customized desktops vanished -- I just got a plain background with no icons. How might I recover my customizations without having to painfully reconstruct them? I expect they are all stored somewhere -- but where?

What if you do
    Code:
     kquitapp plasma-desktop; sleep 5; kstart plasma-desktop
    sigpic

Comment

I tried that, but it had no apparent effect, even after logging out and back in again.

I don't know if the configuration information I need has been lost/overwritten, or if it's just hiding somewhere.

Comment

Maybe you are in the 'wrong' activity or virtual desktop?
        sigpic

Comment

Most of your plasma desktop visual stuff is in a file at ~/.kde/share/config/plasma-desktop-appletsrc. So, even if it was recently changed somehow, if the last previous version is still on your system, you should be able to restore it and have your workspace backe.

Comment

Lost activity

Well, I found all my stuff. It was embedded in an activity that somehow was no longer the default activity. Now that I've found it, how can I ensure that it persists and shows up whenever I log in? (It's very frustrating when things that were working cease working for reasons unknown.)

Comment

Do you usually use activities? If not, delete all the ones you don't use. Otherwise, you can also save you settings on exit (globally) so that you log back in to where you logged out at.
              ​"Keep it between the ditches"
              K*Digest Blog
              K*Digest on Twitter

Comment

When I bring up the Activities display via Desktop, I see a whole row of activities, all but the first labelled New Activity. (The first one is the one I want.) So --

1. Is there a way to make those new activities go away, or are new ones always generated to fill the spaces in the display?

2. From the Activities display, is there a way to name an activity?

Comment

What version of kde are you running? Activities have improved allot in the later version.

I remember that bug where you would get lots of new activities poping up but that has been fixed for several versions of kde now.

1. You can delete activities by opening the activity window (meta+q), stopping the activity and clicking remove, or the X (depending on what version of kde your have). The minimum number of activities you can have is 1, so you should be able to get rid of all but the one you want.
                  2. In later versions you can rename activities by clicking the spanner icon on the activity in the activity window

Comment

As a side note, the observed behaviour by pwabrahams is why I have been working very hard on a pithy description of what activities are and how to invoke them.

AND...I had decided to NOT include the behaviour that first occurs.....that when they are invoked for the first time....

The desktop seems to disappear....

So, I shall now rework my description and include the "apparent" behaviour.

Thanks for the question pw!

woodsmoke

Comment

Working...
                    X