This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trying to Find a Solution to Viewing Youtube

I'm currently running 10.04, and planning to move to 12.04 just because it's the next LTS.

Firefox is up to version 14, and somewhere along the line when trying to view Youtube video - on Youtube - I get nothing. I've been searching for solutions 'til my eyes bleed, but nothing works. Youtube is probably not the most important thing in my life (obviously, since the lack of Youtube seems to be an ongoing crisis everywhere else I've looked), but still I wanted to view some videos that I had seen a few months ago.

I've looked all over the place, and the most promising solution seemed to be a package called "gecko-mediaplayer". Oh, well, it doesn't solve anything either.

So, do I need to stop procrastinating and just move to to Precise from Lucid? Anybody else having the the problem in 12.04? Will Precise be my Youtube savior? {;>)
    The next brick house on the left
    Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.27.11​| Kubuntu 24.04 | 6.8.0-31-generic

I don’t have any problem with youtube or flash but if you do and you use firefox install the flash-aid extension and run it through it's wizard mode excepting all it's defaults.

or you could install google-chrome it comes with it's own flash .

VINNY
    i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
    16GB RAM
    Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Thank you vinnywright. Unfortunately, neither solution worked.

Which leads me to conclude that the problem is either hardware (i.e., my old, but long useful Thinkpad), or OS (i.e., my old, but long useful Lucid platform).

Always try the least costly solution first. And since I will need to back up my current files and move into Precise in either case, I'll just try Precise on my old, but long suffering Thinkpad first. Appreciate it!!
      Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.27.11​| Kubuntu 24.04 | 6.8.0-31-generic

Comment

Just for the test, download and install Google Chrome. Google Chrome has built in flash player, which is always updated and usually works better than systems flash (used in firefox).

If you want to watch youtube (and flash), than I think that Chrome is the best choice under Linux.

Edit: I just saw that vinny gave the same advice
        Last edited by schnelle; Aug 07, 2012, 07:47 PM.
        Plasma 5 look&feel for KDE4: http://kde-look.org/content/show.php...content=166438

Comment

if you rely only have 512 RAM like your sig suggests I would give myself a 2 Gig or so swap partition as well ......or get some more RAM.

VINNY
          16GB RAM

Comment

If this is a problem with flash you may try this:
            http://www.kubuntuforums.net/showthr...l=1#post301024
            There is also application minitube that doesn't need flash.

Comment

There is also this

Comment

I appreciate the input everyone, but like I said, it's time to move on. I've made a backup to my USB disk, and will just proceed on to Precise. My machine is what what it is, and its configuration is maxed out. So time to try the simple solution.

See ya on the other side!!

Comment

Originally posted by jglen490 View Post
                  I appreciate the input everyone, but like I said, it's time to move on. I've made a backup to my USB disk, and will just proceed on to Precise. My machine is what what it is, and its configuration is maxed out. So time to try the simple solution.

See ya on the other side!!
                  well if you intend to reinstall do like I suggested and give your self a good sized (1-2Gig)swap partition ....

VINNY
                  16GB RAM

Comment

I'm having the same problem. I'm also not seeing where chrome has it's own flash. I try to watch youtube in chrome and it complains about not having a flash plugin.

Comment

Chrome does. Chromium does not.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveRiley View Post
                        Chrome does. Chromium does not.
                        And I'm using Chrome.

Anyway, gnash seems to have solved the problem.

Comment

Originally posted by deadtom View Post
                          I'm having the same problem. I'm also not seeing where chrome has it's own flash. I try to watch youtube in chrome and it complains about not having a flash plugin.
                          Built in flash doesn't work with old cpus which doesn't support sse2 instructions. You can check that with command
                          Code:
                          [B][I]cat /proc/cpuinfo[/I][/B]
                          and look for line "flags". If you don't have sse2 listed than built in flash won't work for you.
                          Last edited by schnelle; Aug 16, 2012, 06:26 AM.
                          Plasma 5 look&feel for KDE4: http://kde-look.org/content/show.php...content=166438

Comment

Working...
                          X