This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Firefox window decoration?

Hi, I reckon this has been asked several times, but I couldn't find anything on it. I saw something very related, the KDE support thread, but I think it's not the same. I would like to have the Firefox window title to disappear as in Windows. That is, the Firefox menu on the left would be the highest thing on the window, without having the extra bar with the window title and the minimize-maximize-close buttons. Is this possible? Basically this setup right now is taking an extra line of web space, and I find it a bit annoying.

Thank you!

I think maby if you try right click the title bar>advanced>special window settings>appearance and fixes you may find what your after.

VINNY
    i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
    16GB RAM
    Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Originally posted by timonoj View Post
      Hi, I reckon this has been asked several times, but I couldn't find anything on it. I saw something very related, the KDE support thread, but I think it's not the same. I would like to have the Firefox window title to disappear as in Windows. That is, the Firefox menu on the left would be the highest thing on the window, without having the extra bar with the window title and the minimize-maximize-close buttons. Is this possible? Basically this setup right now is taking an extra line of web space, and I find it a bit annoying.

Thank you!
      I've achieved what you're wanting to do by installing the Oxygen-KDE add-on for Firefox, then following the instructions in chrome://oxygenkdeoptions/content/page/exceptionsguide.html

Note: as you might expect, that "chrome://" link won't exist until after you've installed the add-on.

You don't actually need Oxygen-KDE to get rid of the title bar, but if you want to have buttons for minimise, maximise/restore and close, then you'll need the add-on. Following the instructions also keeps the window border at the sides and bottom available when the window isn't maximised, so you still have 'grab areas' for easy resizing of the window.

As a bonus, Oxygen-KDE improves Firefox's visual integration with KDE's Oxygen theme.
      Last edited by HalationEffect; Jul 11, 2012, 11:29 PM.
      sigpic
      "Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all."
      -- Douglas Adams

Comment

Originally posted by vinnywright View Post
        I think maby if you try right click the title bar>advanced>special window settings>appearance and fixes you may find what your after.

VINNY
        Thank you VINNY, but I never knew how to make the title bar disappear while keeping the window buttons.

Originally posted by HalationEffect View Post
        I've achieved what you're wanting to do by installing the Oxygen-KDE add-on for Firefox, then following the instructions in chrome://oxygenkdeoptions/content/page/exceptionsguide.html

Note: as you might expect, that "chrome://" link won't exist until after you've installed the add-on.

You don't actually need Oxygen-KDE to get rid of the title bar, but if you want to have buttons for minimise, maximise/restore and close, then you'll need the add-on. Following the instructions also keeps the window border at the sides and bottom available when the window isn't maximised, so you still have 'grab areas' for easy resizing of the window.

As a bonus, Oxygen-KDE improves Firefox's visual integration with KDE's Oxygen theme.
        Great HalationEffect, that definitely worked! It looks neat now. The stile is a bit more rudimentary than windows (looks a bit thicker), but definitely a vast improvement, and now I have extra web space. Thank you very much!

Comment

Glad to have been of help

In these days of wide-screen monitors and the many non-dynamic websites that don't take them into account, getting the most vertical space possible is a definite plus. BTW - have you considered setting your bottom panel to auto hide, for even more vertical space?

Of course, for the ultimate in maximising vertical space, hit F11 to make Firefox go full screen.
          sigpic
          "Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all."
          -- Douglas Adams

Comment

Originally posted by HalationEffect View Post
            Glad to have been of help

In these days of wide-screen monitors and the many non-dynamic websites that don't take them into account, getting the most vertical space possible is a definite plus. BTW - have you considered setting your bottom panel to auto hide, for even more vertical space?

Of course, for the ultimate in maximising vertical space, hit F11 to make Firefox go full screen.
            Yeah, but after some testing, the autohide option ends up annoying me more than helping. Thank you very much!

Comment

Working...
            X