X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

apt-get downloads extremely slow

Hi,

Last few days apt-get turned to be very slow on my home desktop, with apt progress indicator showing 10-15KB/sec download speeds, occasionally dropping below 10KB/sec. This does not depend on particular mirrors used; also, access to 3rd party repositories hosted completely outside Canonical servers is equally slow. What is wierd, at the same time iftop confirms apt-get is actually utilizing most of the connection bandwidth (it is Verizon DSL, 5Mbit/sec D/L speed) and the transfer rates from servers are in the 300-600 KB/sec range, which looks like normal speeds. It is as if apt-get drops every 9 packets out of 10 received into a black hole. There is no errors whatsoever in any of the logs and dropped packets / errors counts for the network interface all stay at zero (ifconfig).

I have already spent several hours trying to debug and fix the problem, to no avail. Tried everything from disabling IPv6 in the kernel to power-cycling my DSL modem and NetGear router, none of my attempts had any effect on the apt-get download speed.

Muon and synaptic package managers are equally affected but all other programs' connection and download speeds seem normal (that is, fast as usual).

Did anyone else experience anything like that?

--bamyasi

[SOLVED]
    Last edited by bamyasi; May 19, 2012, 04:39 PM.

You said that you're experiencing this with 'other mirrors'. Have you tried selecting a server from a different Country?
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
      You said that you're experiencing this with 'other mirrors'. Have you tried selecting a server from a different Country?
      Not yet but I've tried a lot of different US mirrors already. I doubt this is related to the mirror selection since this happens to affect repositories on completely different servers, e.g., CRAN (R-project), Slimdevices (Logitech), etc.

It may be related to this bug:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...pt/+bug/977906

However, the solution proposed in it did not improve things for me.

Comment

Mine has slowed down to a crawl here as well. Incidentally, I had Lubuntu 11.10 installed on an old PC for my aunt and when I was there recently, I dropped to the console and updated everything. It all went at normal speed, so I'm assuming that this is Kubuntu-specific?

EDIT: Kubuntu-specific does not make sense...maybe it's 12.04 related...
        Last edited by dequire; May 19, 2012, 03:43 PM.
        ​"Keep it between the ditches"
        K*Digest Blog
        K*Digest on Twitter

Comment

humm mine is at 170 to 110 KB/sec witch is usual on my slow connection .

do any of you experiencing a slowdown have some other network traffic going on ?

VINNY
          i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
          16GB RAM
          Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

I have no problems with my 12.04 64-bit installation running the update (sudo apt-get update) or the dist-upgrade (sudo apt-get dist-upgrade). I'm using http://mirror.anl.gov/pub/ubuntu/ as my main download server, and my download speeds are where they should be for my account (5MB download; 1.5MB upload).

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
              I have no problems with my 12.04 64-bit installation running the update (sudo apt-get update) or the dist-upgrade (sudo apt-get dist-upgrade). I'm using http://mirror.anl.gov/pub/ubuntu/ as my main download server, and my download speeds are where they should be for my account (5MB download; 1.5MB upload).
              It worked! I have pointed Muon to this particular mirror server and instantly got 600KiB/sec download speed while updating indices. I'll keep testing further but it looks like the problem is fixed. Thanks a lot for a tip, Snowhog!

Comment

it was dog slow for me last night, 10-15 kB/s, It seems like a routing issue perhaps? Whichever server(s) are being selected as the the main US server(s) must be having issues. Selecting a different one fixed it for me.

Comment

What is interesting, selecting this fixed mirror server seems to fix ALL apt download speed problems here, even 3rd party servers are now fast and responsive. I also no longer get 100% CPU load when the apt-get update is running like before. Looks like a bug in the apt's automatic server load balancing / selection algorithm to me...
                  Last edited by bamyasi; May 19, 2012, 04:49 PM.

Comment

I always use mirror.anl.gov. It is consistently listed as the fastest and most up-to-date US mirror.

Comment

Where do you set the mirror servers at?

Comment

If you are using Muon, launch Muon Package Manager and click on Settings > Configure Software Sources > Kubuntu Software and click on the Download from: drop down selection list and choose http://mirror.anl.gov/pub/ubuntu

Comment

Working...
                        X