This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Upgraded to 12.04. No sound

Updated all my packages in 11.10 and rebooted. Sound worked fine. Did a full upgrade to 12.04. No sound. KMixer is not muted.

However.....

I am using the digital HDMI out on my entry level nVidia sound card to drive my Onkyo HDMI home theatre amplifier. All worked before. Alsamixer shows the following (see screenshot).

Arrow keys don't change the output level of the S/PDIF channels. There are no other channels being shown in alsamixer other than those two.

As noted, I am not using S/PDIF as such. I am using the HDMI out on the sound card, which carries video and sound to the Onkyo receiver. I am using the machine to post this, so obviously the card is working, and the picture signal is going over the HDMI cable to the receiver, and from there to my flatscreen TV. No sound, however.

I am using the nVidia driver. Is there something in there that I need to adjust?

Thanks.

Frank.

Click image for larger version

Name:	snapshot1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	15.0 KB
ID:	647823
    Linux: Powerful, open, elegant. Its all I use.

Solved

Don't know why, but in poking around and finding nothing, I started fiddling with the settings in Phonon. One of them worked.

Sound and Video Configuration - Audio Hardware Setup

There is a drop-down list box beside "Profile" There are what appear to be duplicate entries

Digital Stereo (HDMI) Output.

The first one was selected. Though the second entry just below it was identical, I selected it, and BAM, I got sound.

Alsamixer looks the same, but now if I mute or unmute S/PDIF 1, the sound goes or comes again.

I can only assume that the sound works on the second HDMI channel, and not the first one. No, I don't know why.

Frank.
    Attached Files
    Linux: Powerful, open, elegant. Its all I use.

Comment

Working...
    X