X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Different configurations for Multiple Desktops

Hello

After many tests with other operating programs, I think I come back to Kubuntu. So I installed the Version and ‒ oh wonder ‒ Kaffeine worked without problems, inclusive the scrabled Swiss TV-Channels.

So, I now try to configure my computer to my needs.

First problem is, that it looks, that I can not have different pictures on each of my Desktops (4 in total; themed: administration, Internet, audio/video and graphic). This was never a problem with any of the other tested Distros, be they Debian-based, RedHat or Gentoo.

Second does anybody have a solution for the following scenario:
    I use two panels, one on the bottom for all applications I will need regardless of a theme and one on the right with the working icons. (I do not want any program starters cluttered over the desktop.) Now, it would be great, if I could have a different panel on the right, which changes and shows only the icons of the theme. Like under Internet: Firefox, Thunderbird, Filezilla, KompoZer. My monitor has a format of 1200 px horizontal and 1600 pixel vertical. I work 75% in Portrait and only 25% in Landscape (while working in Gimp). Here a pic of Desktop at present

Last edited by Arran; Jul 24, 2012, 06:37 AM. Reason: Adding picture
    Greetings from Scotland's best holiday island – The Isle of Arran
    I keep fighting for an independent Scotland without any nuclear weapons. If the Englanders want them, they can host them. We do not.

Originally posted by Arran View Post
    Hello

So, I now try to configure my computer to my needs.

First problem is, that it looks, that I can not have different pictures on each of my Desktops (4 in total; themed: administration, Internet, audio/video and graphic). This was never a problem with any of the other tested Distros, be they Debian-based, RedHat or Gentoo.
    have you tried going to system settings>workspace behaviour>virtual desktops and on the desktop tab click the check box for "different widgets for each desktop?
    this should let you have different wallpapers at least.....and of course different widgets on each as well

VINNY
    i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
    16GB RAM
    Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Hi Vinny
      Thanks. Shame on me, I really should have thought about that. The one with different Backgrounds works well.

However, I could still not manage to have different icons in the panels. In the meantime I have also asked at the KDE forum. There I got the response to make note in the Brainstorm section, as my dream is certainly not working. I helped myself by grouping the icons to my themes and then I put a space in between. I am getting in this way four distinctive groups, this will do for the moment.
      Greetings from Scotland's best holiday island – The Isle of Arran
      I keep fighting for an independent Scotland without any nuclear weapons. If the Englanders want them, they can host them. We do not.

Comment

Originally posted by Arran View Post
        Hi Vinny
        Thanks. Shame on me, I really should have thought about that. The one with different Backgrounds works well.

However, I could still not manage to have different icons in the panels. In the meantime I have also asked at the KDE forum. There I got the response to make note in the Brainstorm section, as my dream is certainly not working. I helped myself by grouping the icons to my themes and then I put a space in between. I am getting in this way four distinctive groups, this will do for the moment.
        your welcome
        yes I couldn’t quickly come up with a way to have different panels on different desktops ether sorry

VINNY
        i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
        16GB RAM
        Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Working...
        X