X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Problems with kopete notification in knotify plasma widget

Hello,

I am new to kubuntu, I have changed from ubuntu because of the unity release, and I am quite happy with it... There are still some things I am not acustomed to, but with time, everything will be ok.

My problem is the following: I have connected kopete to all my IM accounts, and have a lot of contacts. The thing is, I love the popup that displays whenever a contact comes online, but I do not need (in fact it is bothering me) to be able to see that notification after it fades away... Otherwise, if I leave my computer alone for 2 hours, I have got 300 notifications of people becoming online or offline (and often it is even the same people).

I don't know how to achieve this.I have looked into the customization of kopete notification, into the application notification customisation from the system setting, and into the plasma notification widget, but couldn't find an easy way.

There is still a couple of solutions:

• First Idea:

I can associate a script to that special type of notification, that script would be run, say 5 seconds after the popup shows (not a problem), and delete that specific notification (or mark it as read).

And here are the problems:
    • how do I delete/mark as read a notification (knotify? directly in the widget? where are they stored anyway?)
    • how do I select that specific notificationto delete? (If someone send me a message while I am afk, I want to have the notification when I come back...)

• Second Idea:

I can only run a script for that specific event (no classic notification), and that script only open a popup... But then, how do I do that? And, will it be in tune with the rest of my desktop customization?

Cheers for reading. Any help greatly appreciated.

PS: I run kubuntu 11.10 on an acer extensa 5620.

PPS: Sorry for my english... I am french, and trying

is this from the mail icon looking thing (Message Indicator, a
    kububtu specific app, iirc)

Click image for larger version

Name:	snapshot1.png
Views:	1
Size:	2.6 KB
ID:	639824

or is it from the info bubble on the left of the system tray?

Click image for larger version

Name:	snapshot2.png
Views:	1
Size:	2.4 KB
ID:	639825

I personally don't use the Message Indicator, and not for some time, probably for that reason (as well as that it does not work yet with the kmail). You can try removing it -right click on the systray to find options to disable it. Then notifications will be handled in the standard KDE way.

If it is the second one, the notifications can add up, but they do end up being grouped together, if you click on the icon, you will see a list of notifications, each with an 'X' to close them, but also a "Master" X at the top to close them all.

I am thinking you have the Message Indicator, and I am unaware of any way to configure it. right off the top of my head

Comment

Thanks for your fast reply.

It is the second one: "notifications and jobs" widget. I know they are grouped together, by application, I think. The thing is, I want to be able to see if someone sent me a message, or if I have been disconnected, at quick glance, without having to go through every connect/disconnect notification. But i still want to have the connect/disconnect popups. And with te master close button, I will close every kopete notification, including connection/disconnection or incoming message.

The problem is, even with a passive popup like that:

Code:
      kdialog --title "This is a passive popup" --passivepopup \
      "It will disappear in about 10 seconds" 10
      The notification/jobs widget somehow intercept the message and add it to the queue of notification...

I definitely need a command line way to interact with that widget.

I could be satisfied with the scripting kndialog, cause I could create a new class of notification, and then being able to close them rapidly, but i still need to find a way of getting the name and network of the contact that has just changed his status

Comment

Here is an attempt, but doesn't work...

Code:
        #!/usr/bin/python
        import sys, dbus, time

if (len(sys.argv) == 2):
            knotify = dbus.SessionBus().get_object("org.kde.knotify", "/Notify")
            title = "kopete Messenger"
            text = sys.argv[1]
            id = knotify.event("warning", "kde", [], title, text, [], [], 0, 0, dbus_interface="org.kde.KNotify")
            print id
            time.sleep(5)
            knotify.closeNotification(id)
        else:
            print "Usage: kopete_knotify.py text"
        This should be the script called by kopete with the %s parameter... BTW, if you have an idea of how to get the icon representing my contact, that would be cool too

I am under the impression that the widget doesn't react to the deletion of a notification... I am now looking for a way to interact directly with the widget... If anyone has an idea... Help welcome! I spent my afternoon between google and the qdbus command to try to get it working, but it didn't I tried most of the things that I found though.

And I began to program in python! And to use qdbus! So not so improductive after all.

Comment

Working...
        X