This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Video Chat with Google Talk on Kopete

I got a new webcam for Christmas and I'm trying to get it working with Kopete. The webcam itself is working great and Kopete is using it just fine in the test video in Settings>Configure>"Configure Video. Unfortunately, I can't get Kopete to use video chat. I can't even find any options for it. My understanding was that Google recently changed their implementation to be fully standards compliant with the Jingle specifications. Why is it not working anymore? People used to be able to install a plug-in to make it work, but that's no longer even in the restricted repos. With the changes Google's made recently, it might not even work anyway. Can anyone help me out?

Re: Video Chat with Google Talk on Kopete

Hi

I'm sorry that you are having problems with this.

Just to check I tried a connection.

Kopete uses Jabber to connect to google chat.

You do not "need a jabber account" you just need your full e-mail addy at for the gmail account and the password and it will try to do the deed.

I just tested the connection with another person and we were, indeed able to "chat".

However, I, in Kopete, can configure the camera and it does work for Kopete, and Google itself's chat, , but I cannot connect with another person using video chat through jabber/kopete.

When he attempted to visit with me, he received the message "voice/video chat is not available for woodsmoke's system".

Here is a to the Kde site concerning this.

http://docs.kde.org/stable/en/kdenet...otocols-jabber

so it is not that you did something wrong it is just that Kopete, although it does support video chat, does not do so for google through jabber.

I can provide the settings witin kopete to get it to work with gmail if you cannot even get "in".

again, I'm sorry it doesn't work, possibly you could use another client.

woodsmoke

Comment

If the important thing is google chat and not Kopete, Pidgin does work, here is a howto:

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3119854.0

woodsmoke

Comment

Empathy will accept the jabber/gmail account and one can "hear a ringer" from someone for video chat but when one clicks accept the other person sees "not accepted" and the window closes on Empathy.

Empathy has, in the preferences both "voice" and "video" call but both are "x" out for me.

woodsmoke

Comment

Thanks woodsmoke. I suppose I could try pidgin I was hoping to convert over to more of the KDE stack, but I guess I can wait until Ktelepathy or whatever it's called is eventually released as stable. I heard it's supposed to be more feature complete and powerful than Kopete including full XMPP voice/video.

Comment

Originally posted by Prescience
            Thanks woodsmoke. I suppose I could try pidgin I was hoping to convert over to more of the KDE stack, but I guess I can wait until Ktelepathy or whatever it's called is eventually released as stable. I heard it's supposed to be more feature complete and powerful than Kopete including full XMPP voice/video.
            According to the FAQ, Google Video is already working:
            Q: Will it support video conferences (with jingle - to be compatible with google talk) and voice with SIP?

A: Yes, it already does.
            Also, there is a PPA for Kubuntu already out:
            https://launchpad.net/~telepathy-kde/+archive/ppa

I might give it a try today 8)

​"Keep it between the ditches"
            K*Digest Blog
            K*Digest on Twitter

Comment

Hi
              When I followed the linkys there was supposed to be a gui for Telepathy installed, but I did not find it in the repos.

I noticed, at the time that "telepathy-core" was not installed so I installed it.

I did the PPA thing and when I reloaded I got that the ppa for gwibber was not available, a 404 error.

When I tried downloading the deb and installing it I got that there was a dependency problem specifically that the following were not installed.

telepathy-gabble
              telepathy-haze

However, they are installed.

But, the latest build is now for "Precise Pangolin" so that may be a situation for me since I'm running Oneric.

Don't know.

I can't really test to see if I have video chat now because the fellow I was testing with is offline. However, Empathy still has the "x" in video and voice call.

woodsmoke

The two dependencies

Comment

you all do know that if you use the google vid chat in Gmail thrugh firfox it works great......at least hear.

VINNY
                i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
                16GB RAM
                Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Vinny you are quite correct, he is just wanting to "use as much KDE stuff as possible".

woodsmoke

Comment

In case others are curious (as I was) about what woodsmokes current signature line graphic is, see:

Flying Spaghetti Monster

Windows no longer obstructs my view.
                    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
                    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Oh SH...you gave my SECRET away!

woodsmoke

Comment

Working...
                      X