X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mount Partition Advice

Hi everyone!

Would someone please tell me what is the correct location to mount drives/partitions etc...

Some distro's mount for example the Windows partition in '/' or '/mnt' or '/media'. What is the best location? Is there a benefit to mounting a drive/partition in a specific location?

Just installed 11.10 and the Windows partition is in '/' but I move it to 'mnt' should I leave it in the default location?

Thanks

Re: Mount Partition Advice

Partitions that are not specified in /etc/fstab are mounted in /media. If you want to specify and manually mount via the console, then you can do so by creating a mount point in /media or /mnt - either is fine.
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

to add a bit...

/media is the default Ubuntu based distro mount location for removable devices or any partition not mounted via fstab.
      /mnt is generally the default location for any non-specific fstab mounts for most distros.

The "correct" location is what ever location makes sense to you. This is part of what makes linux great - flexibility.

In my case, I mount my backup partition as /backup, mount my other distro partitions as /mnt/sdXX, mount my servers shared files as /shared, and leave /media/ for removable devices.

With the exception of using a mount location reserved for another purpose, you can mount your stuff pretty much where ever you want. Apply your own logic or desires and mount away...

Please Read Me

Comment

Thank you for the information.

I just wanted to make sure I wasn't going to cause any issues

Comment

Working...
        X