X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

muon software center refuses to cooperate [SOLVED]

Dear friends,
    I have a problem that was bugging me for a few days now. Whenever I want to download and install a software through muon software center or even update my system I get the following error:

<"Another application seems to be using the package system at this time. You must close all other package managers before you will be able to install or remove any packages"l>

The thing is, there is no other software that I can see using the package system. I opened up system monitor and didn't find anything telling me that there is a process coming from muon software center. Any ideas?

Re: muon software center refuses to cooperate

You may have Muon package manager open.
    There are 2 Muon thingies.
    The Muon Software center, and the Muon package manager.
    If you installed Synaptic, check to make sure that is closed as well.

Comment

No synaptic manager installed. Both of the muon managers are closed...
      I have a feeling, that removing muon managers and installing them again would be a good idea. But considering the restricting circumstances, can anyone provide a step-by-step description on conducting such a procedure, if it is a good idea?

Comment

Not a good idea. Instead, look for an existing lock file that didn't get removed properly.

Open a console and type:
        Code:
        sudo rm /var/cache/apt/archives/lock
        Then launch either (but not both) Muon Software Center or Muon Package Manager and see how it fares now.
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

I also experienced problems with Muon installer, so I installed Synaptic and the day was saved.

Comment

I often experienced this problem in Ubuntu even though i shut every application down. A reboot used to remedy this bug

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog
              Not a good idea. Instead, look for an existing lock file that didn't get removed properly.

Open a console and type:
              Code:
              Then launch either (but not both) Muon Software Center or Muon Package Manager and see how it fares now.
              Okay, I did just what you suggested, the lock is gone. However that didn't fix it. I opened up Muon software center and tried to install an app to test out if it would let me. Same error.

Comment

Try it from the command line, it will give you a better error code.

So you open Konsole and typ:
                Code:
                sudo apt-get install thisprogram
                Obviously you need to replace thisprogram with the name of the application you want.
                Now look for the feedback you get and follow up.

Comment

Originally posted by Teunis
                  Try it from the command line, it will give you a better error code.

So you open Konsole and typ:
                  Code:
                  sudo apt-get install thisprogram
                  Obviously you need to replace thisprogram with the name of the application you want.
                  Now look for the feedback you get and follow up.
                  You are a day saver! Thanks, it worked. When I entered the apt-get install command, he told me there was a problem: "dpkg was interrupted" and told me what to do about it "you must manually run 'sudo dpkg --configure -a' to correct the problem." Which is exactly what I did. I ran the update, and everything installed, my muon is back on track.

Comment

Re: muon software center refuses to cooperate [SOLVED]

I am having the same exact problem with Muon and have tried all the advice listed here but still cannot get muon to cooperate and install wine. Any other suggestions?

Comment

Originally posted by kc7gnm
                      I am having the same exact problem with Muon and have tried all the advice listed here but still cannot get muon to cooperate and install wine. Any other suggestions?
                      This did the trick for me:

First I ran:

Then I rebooted and then:
                      sudo dpkg --configure -a

Which tidied up an update that had failed to complete, after that I started Muon and it was ok again.
                      Kubuntu 20.04(AMD64)/KDE 5

Comment

Code:
                        sudo rm /var/lib/dpkg/lock
                        also can become necessary after Muon hangs.

Comment

Working...
                        X