• Time
  • Show
Clear All

gparted does not start [SOLVED]

hi...
    i've installed gparted using
    Code:
    apt-get install gparted
    but when I run it through Kmenu it shows that it attempts to run it, it even asks for the root password, but nothing happens and it does not start.
    Does anyone know what might be the problem?
    Cheers, -Linda

Re: gparted does not start

Hi, a couple of thoughts

Have you had a previous installation of gparted? If so in your home directory there might be a hidden (.) config file for gparted causing a conflict. Renaming that will give it a fresh start. This is known to fix many a program that has suddenly stopped loading.

Otherwise open a terminal and type

Code:
    gparted
    or

Code:
    kdesudo gparted
    Any error messages?

Ian

PS - I assume you ran apt-get install gparted as sudo?

Comment

Originally posted by The Liquidator
      Hi, a couple of thoughts

Have you had a previous installation of gparted? If so in your home directory there might be a hidden (.) config file for gparted causing a conflict. Renaming that will give it a fresh start. This is known to fix many a program that has suddenly stopped loading.
      would you tell me how to check that?
      Otherwise open a terminal and type

Code:
      gparted
      or

Code:
      kdesudo gparted
      Any error messages?

Ian
      No protocol specified

(gpartedbin:6417): Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display: :0

PS - I assume you ran apt-get install gparted as sudo?
      yes i did
      Cheers, -Linda

Comment

Hidden files - open dolphin and under view select show hidden files. Navigate to the home directory and you will see lots of hidden folders (they are prefixed with a .).

gparted may have its own folder, or it may be within the folder marked .config. It may be you also have a .gnome folder and it might be in there.

Terminal - as gparted is a gtk application it might not welcome kdesudo as a prefix.

Try gksudo or just sudo instead.

Comment

Hidden files - open dolphin and under view select show hidden files. Navigate to the home directory and you will see lots of hidden folders (they are prefixed with a .).

gparted may have its own folder, or it may be within the folder marked .config. It may be you also have a .gnome folder and it might be in there.

Terminal - as gparted is a gtk application it might not welcome kdesudo as a prefix.

Try gksudo or just sudo instead.
          I couldnt find it in any hidden file...
          and instead of any sudo, Im logged in as root. is that ok?
          Cheers, -Linda

Comment

I don't think many here will consider it wise for you to be actually running as root, and would recommend using sudo instead - it is considered to be something of a security issue.

Do you run as root all the time? If so, and you are trying to launch the program as root, then the config file is unlikely to be in your home folder. Also I don't know what impact that will have on the running of programs that are designed to run as user but with temporary root privileges.

Comment

I don't think many here will consider it wise for you to be actually running as root, and would recommend using sudo instead - it is considered to be something of a security issue.

Do you run as root all the time? If so, and you are trying to launch the program as root, then the config file is unlikely to be in your home folder. Also I don't know what impact that will have on the running of programs that are designed to run as user but with temporary root privileges.
              great point I never noticed before!!
              and better news, has just launched with kdesudo actually...!
              thanks alot
              Cheers, -Linda

Comment

UR Welcome

Comment

No, it isn't. By default, X is disabled for the root user, and that's why you are getting the error about opening screen :0. You can change that, but I wouldn't recommend it, as it bypasses several security features, and might cause unpredictable problems down the line.

Also, you cannot run any gui applications from the rescue console, for the same reason. Ditto from the text console logged in as a user, because X is not running from there.

From the commands you are posting, most of which are missing the "sudo" part, I am thinking that you are trying to do a lot of stuff debian-style, namely, from a root terminal. That's the way debian does things, and some other distributions as well. But the ubuntu family is a little different. You can do the same things, but they are done a little differently. The *ubuntus really do depend on using sudo (for non-graphical commands) and kdesudo (for anything onvolving a gui), and you get used to that after a while.

If you really want to do things root-terminal style, the easiest way to do it, that does actually work, is this:

from inside kde, logged in as a normal user: ALT-F2 kdesudo konsole

This will give you a terminal with root powers, but running through X in the way ubuntu wants to see it. Then things like gparted will run from the command line as expected.

Now I know from another thread that you are having a problem with an external disk, so you might want to do this with your external disk unplugged. Once gparted starts, then plug in your disk, and within gparted, select Gparted > Refresh.
                  We only have to look at ourselves to see how intelligent life might develop into something we wouldn't want to meet. -- Stephen Hawking

Comment

thank you really very much for great and clear clarification...

Originally posted by doctordruidphd
                    No, it isn't. By default, X is disabled for the root user, and that's why you are getting the error about opening screen :0. You can change that, but I wouldn't recommend it, as it bypasses several security features, and might cause unpredictable problems down the line.

Also, you cannot run any gui applications from the rescue console, for the same reason. Ditto from the text console logged in as a user, because X is not running from there.

From the commands you are posting, most of which are missing the "sudo" part, I am thinking that you are trying to do a lot of stuff debian-style, namely, from a root terminal. That's the way debian does things, and some other distributions as well. But the ubuntu family is a little different. You can do the same things, but they are done a little differently. The *ubuntus really do depend on using sudo (for non-graphical commands) and kdesudo (for anything onvolving a gui), and you get used to that after a while.
                    the truth is, I do use redhat (not deb) and stuff sometimes gets mixed up (although im not sure if thats really the main\only reason of my mistakes )

If you really want to do things root-terminal style, the easiest way to do it, that does actually work, is this:
                    This will give you a terminal with root powers, but running through X in the way ubuntu wants to see it. Then things like gparted will run from the command line as expected.
                    this is just great!

Now I know from another thread that you are having a problem with an external disk, so you might want to do this with your external disk unplugged. Once gparted starts, then plug in your disk, and within gparted, select Gparted > Refresh.
                    anyways, you've helped alot in many posts to me, i really appreciate that!
                    Cheers, -Linda

Comment

this is just great!
                      One other thing I would suggest, if you are going to do this, is to change the color of the text for the root terminal, so you always know when you are working as root.

From the root konsole:

Settings > Configure current profile > Appearance

and choose a different color from your normal user terminal. This can prevent really nasty mistakes. Just a thought...
                      We only have to look at ourselves to see how intelligent life might develop into something we wouldn't want to meet. -- Stephen Hawking

Comment

One other thing I would suggest, if you are going to do this, is to change the color of the text for the root terminal, so you always know when you are working as root.

From the root konsole:

Settings > Configure current profile > Appearance

and choose a different color from your normal user terminal. This can prevent really nasty mistakes. Just a thought...
                        good idea, thanks for reminding
                        Cheers, -Linda

Comment

one thing remaining though...
                          I still dont get why it initially did not run when I clicked on the "gparted" icon from kde menu...
                          Cheers, -Linda

Comment

I still dont get why it initially did not run when I clicked on the "gparted" icon from kde menu..
                            Don't know. If it's working now, we'll probably never know. You probably forgot to utter the proper explative to get it going. That mic might be doing things you don't know about.

Comment

Working...
                            X