This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Muon can't install software [Solved]

When I first installed Kubuntu 11.10 everything worked fine but now if I try to install software from the Package Manager or the Software Center I get an error message.

"Another application seems to be using the package system at this time. You must close all other package managers before you will be able to install or remove any packages."

I don't have any other package managers installed that I know of and I have rebooted it several times. I am not good with command line so would like the GUI to work.

Re: Muon can't install software

This is an issue if/when the Package Update Notifier is present in the System Tray. It has to be accessed and closed first.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Nothing is running in the tray and I stopped the Muon Notification service but still not working. Is there a way to stop all package services. I couldn't find anything other than the notifier in System Settings/ Start and Stop services.

Is the something akin to Process Explorer in Kubuntu?

Thanks, Ray

Comment

Ctrl+Esc will bring up the System Activity Monitor and show you what processes are running.
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Re: Muon can't install software [Solved]

None of the processes gave any clue to what had the package manager tied up.

On the recommendation from an Ubuntu user I ran "sudo apt-get update" in the terminal and it started running a drop box install from Nautilus? It finished and the package manager was freed up. Boy I had a lot of updates waiting.

Hope this helps someone else too.

Thanks, Ray

Comment

Re: Muon can't install software [Solved]

It helped me. I had the same problem and your solution fixed it. Thanks for getting back in and posting what worked for you!

Pat

Comment

Working...
            X