This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

kded4 eating up the CPU

I've just upgraded to Natty and I have a rather serious problem. At times, the CPU usage of kded4 goes up to 100%, I have to kill it with kill -9 or it will cause kubuntu to completely freeze, making me unable to even move my mouse pointer. Usually kded4 is normal at boot time. I am not able to exactly reproduce the problem, but it seems that it happens when I do something with the network manager and/or connecting to a PPTP virtual network. I tried switching to GNOME network manager and network-manager-kde but nothing changed. Any idea?

UPDATE: Seems like it happens when I disconnect a VPN connection.

Re: kded4 eating up the CPU

I am having the same or a similar issue. It also occurs on a disconnect from a VPN, though I have experienced it at other times as well. I was not paying close enough attention prior to this upgrade to know all the different circumstances under which it occurred. Currently, it results in a strange sort of frozen desktop. All plasma activities are frozen. Windows cannot be moved. Notifications are stuck, etc. I cannot start programs except through a terminal. But, I can still type this message and work within Firefox or any other windows that are open.

kded4 pegs one processor core at 99%-100% and destroys the responsiveness of the whole system. Since the 11.04 upgrade it happens every time I disconnect from a VPN.

Prior to upgrade I could usually (but not always) kill kded4 with signal 9 and regain the desktop. Most often, I had to restart X. Since the upgrade, I always have to restart X. I can still kill kded4, but this results in a crashed plasma that seems to get into a never-ending loop of crashes.

This is only one of about a hundred problems I have been experiencing since the upgrade, however. I've experience seemingly random total freezes that won't even allow me to switch to a terminal or SSH into the box, requiring a hard reset. So, I do not know if this is its own bug or a problem related to one of the other problems.

Comment

For the crashing desktop after killing kded4 with kill signal, just start kded4 again via terminal. In my case, it solves the problem. But it's a bit annoying to kill and then start again kded4 each time I disconnect from a vpn.
      I am experiencing random freezes too, some times without disconnecting a vpn.
      11.04 is one of the worst upgrades I've ever seen.

Comment

I had the same problem when I used Natty for some time from USB-stick. It seemed to happen when I logged out from a 3g connection, so this suggests a more general problem with networkmanager. My setup was a clean one from USB, with Natty released version, 32 bits. I also loaded the 64 bits version but did not try the 3g connection.

It would be important to file a bug, because this keeps me from upgrading to Natty, which otherwise has very good features for my Medion E1315 (gallium 3d, which is a huge improvement on my rs690 ATI chip).

Comment

I can confirm this knetworkmanager bug, got the same issue here. Disabling networkmanagement module seems to fix the issue. So now I'm using nm-applet instead of knetworkmanager.
          ASROCK Z87 Pro4 - i5 4670K - R9 270x ☞ Triple Boot: KDE NEON ★ Windows 10 ★ Windows 7

Comment

<-- does not like network-manager. Even the current version loses a *wired* connection if I have to reboot my router, which makes no sense as I should still have an IP address. Using networkmanager if I reboot my router I have to issue

sudo dhclient eth0

to get my connection back. I use wicd even on wired connections.
            we see things not as they are, but as we are.
            -- anais nin

Comment

Originally posted by pmwisse
              It would be important to file a bug, because this keeps me from upgrading to Natty, which otherwise has very good features for my Medion E1315 (gallium 3d, which is a huge improvement on my rs690 ATI chip).
              A bug is already filed: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...nt/+bug/759209

Originally posted by ubuntuku
              I can confirm this knetworkmanager bug, got the same issue here. Disabling networkmanagement module seems to fix the issue. So now I'm using nm-applet instead of knetworkmanager.
              For me it didn't solve the problem. I will try again according to the tutorial you mentioned and post the results here. Thanks.

UPDATE: nm-applet didn't solve anything. kded4 is consuming the whole CPU after disconnecting from a vpn. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I had to install network-manager-gnome too.

Comment

I spoke too soon, the problem still exists. This has nothing to do with networkmanager. http://www.google.com/search?client=...utf-8&oe=utf-8
                ASROCK Z87 Pro4 - i5 4670K - R9 270x ☞ Triple Boot: KDE NEON ★ Windows 10 ★ Windows 7

Comment

I've been hit by the same kde4d bug with a 3G usb key...

Comment

Reinstalling natty from the scratch didn't solve the problem. The bug is still there.

Comment

Has happened to me when connecting USB mouse. Ctrl-Esc works, but I cannot kill kded4.

Comment

This appears to be bug #220047 in kde.

Comment

After more checks, it seems to be instead bug #263038.
                          The workaround, at least for me, is to edit /usr/share/kde4/services/kded/networkstatus.desktop and set X-KDE-Kded-autoload=false and X-KDE-Kded-load-on-demand=false, restarting kded4 afterwards.

Comment

I can confirm that the solution from jbernardo solves the problem, for now. Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                            X