This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

7 instances of Krusader always start up at boot

What the *heck* would cause that? It's not a horrible inconvenience, it's just weird. And why is compositing always disabled on boot so I have to manually "Resume Compositing" to get it back? I'm thinking there may be some sort of startup script file that I might edit...
    thanks,
    Patti-the-Kubuntu-noob

Re: 7 instances of Krusader always start up at boot

system settings>startup & shutdown>session management>click "start with an empty session" which should take care of the krusader issue.

As for compositing I don't know.
    Home: Kubuntu 12.04-amd64; Intel i7-860 on Intel DH55PJ; Nvidia 9500GT; 6GB RAM
    Network Slave: Xubuntu 11.10-x86; Intel P4-Prescott on MSI; 2GB RAM; Nvidia FX5200
    Portable: Xubuntu 11.10-amd64; Asus EeePC 1015PEM

Comment

Thank you very much for the reply! I've been using OpenSuSE for a decade and it's difficult to get into such a new distro.

Do you know if enabling compositing is the only way to take advantage of the acceleration of my video card? It actually seems just a tad slower when I enable compositing. I have a laptop with a dedicated memory/cpu card: AMD Radeon HD 5650 - so it should be truly fast. Do you know if it's non-risky to install the AMD drivers (rather than the repo drivers)?

Comment

Installing new graphics drivers is always risky, because if something goes wrong you might end up with broken X environment, so if your graphics performance is not extremely BAD, I'd leave it alone ...

The least thing you should do is, to look up how to restore the repo drivers from the command line BEFORE you try any new drivers. This might take some minutes, but might save you an afternoon for re- installing the system.
        "A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any invention in human history - with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila." - Mitch Ratcliffe

Comment

Originally posted by rfakhrai
          system settings>startup & shutdown>session management>click "start with an empty session" which should take care of the krusader issue.

As for compositing I don't know.
          It worked to perfection! thank you!!

Comment

Originally posted by axel668
            Installing new graphics drivers is always risky, because if something goes wrong you might end up with broken X environment, so if your graphics performance is not extremely BAD, I'd leave it alone ...

The least thing you should do is, to look up how to restore the repo drivers from the command line BEFORE you try any new drivers. This might take some minutes, but might save you an afternoon for re- installing the system.
            LOL! Been there, done that.

Comment

Originally posted by PattiMichelle
              Do you know if enabling compositing is the only way to take advantage of the acceleration of my video card? It actually seems just a tad slower when I enable compositing. I have a laptop with a dedicated memory/cpu card: AMD Radeon HD 5650 - so it should be truly fast. Do you know if it's non-risky to install the AMD drivers (rather than the repo drivers)?
              Compositing, as far as KDE is concerned, is used for desktop effects. If you don't want or need pretty graphics and cool effects, leave compositing off. It will decrease your graphics performance in other aspects.

Regarding your question about taking advantage of the acceleration of your video card, I need to better understand your application. Are you playing games? Are you doing graphic manipulations? Are there any current problems with your graphics?

Installing the proprietary ATI drivers is still an imperfect science though a google search will lead you to many tutorials if you want to do it. I have an NVIDIA card and I only use the proprietary graphics drivers because, after years of tinkering, I finally figured out a safe way to do it.
              Home: Kubuntu 12.04-amd64; Intel i7-860 on Intel DH55PJ; Nvidia 9500GT; 6GB RAM
              Network Slave: Xubuntu 11.10-x86; Intel P4-Prescott on MSI; 2GB RAM; Nvidia FX5200
              Portable: Xubuntu 11.10-amd64; Asus EeePC 1015PEM

Comment

Working...
              X