X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Knotes Problem

Hello all.
    I have recently upgraded a couple of computers from 10.04 to 10.10. Neither will run Knotes.
    I have uninstalned Knotes and attempted to reinstall.
    However it refuses to install. The message I get is:
    knotes:
    Depends: libkdepim4 (=4:4.4.6-0ubuntu1) but 4:4.4.8-0ubuntu0.0.1 is to be installed

There seems to be an incomapibility between Knotes and the libkdepim4 version??

I also tried aptitude reinstall libkdepim4 :

sudo aptitude reinstall libkdepim4
    The following packages will be REINSTALLED:
    libkdepim4
    0 packages upgraded, 0 newly installed, 1 reinstalled, 0 to remove and 7 not upgraded.
    Need to get 0B of archives. After unpacking 0B will be used.
    E: I wasn't able to locate file for the libkdepim4 package. This might mean you need to manually fix this package.
    E: I wasn't able to locate file for the libkdepim4 package. This might mean you need to manually fix this package.
    E: Internal error: couldn't generate list of packages to download

Any suggestions as to what I should do here?

Thanks

Re: Knotes Problem

Please post the output from the following command:
    Code:
    apt-cache policy knotes libkdepim4
    ASROCK Z87 Pro4 - i5 4670K - R9 270x ☞ Triple Boot: KDE NEON ★ Windows 10 ★ Windows 7

Comment

Thanks for the reply.

apt-cache policy knotes libkdepim4
      libkdepim4:
      Installed: 4:4.4.8-0ubuntu0.0.1
      Candidate: 4:4.4.8-0ubuntu0.0.1
      Version table:
      *** 4:4.4.8-0ubuntu0.0.1 0
      100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
      4:4.4.6-0ubuntu1 0
      500 ftp://mirror.netspace.net.au/pub/ubuntu/ maverick/main amd64 Packages
      500 http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ maverick/main amd64 Packages
      knotes:
      Installed: (none)
      Candidate: 4:4.4.6-0ubuntu1
      Version table:
      4:4.4.6-0ubuntu1 0
      500 ftp://mirror.netspace.net.au/pub/ubuntu/ maverick/main amd64 Packages
      500 http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ maverick/main amd64 Packages

Comment

The underlying cause for the version problem is likely that you've installed/upgraded kdepim packages when you ran 10.04 (lucid has 4.4.8 packages in it's "updates" repository), while 10.10 (Maverick) still has 4.4.6 packages, so your system can't find knotes 4.4.8 in the maverick repos. There's a few ways you can remedy the situation (install knotes). You don't have to do them all, any one of them should do:

1. Downgrade all installed kdepim packages to the versions in maverick repos 4.4.6 (after which you can install knotes version 4.4.6)

2. Search for maverick kubuntu ppa repos to see if they have kdepim (and knotes) 4.4.8 packages, so you can upgrade your kdepim to the maverick ppa 4.4.8 (and you'll be able to install knotes 4.4.8 from the same ppa).

3. Install the version of knotes available on the lucid repositories (that's compatible with the lucid kdepim packages you have installed), by:
        a. adding lucid updates repository temporarily and installing knotes 4.4.8 from there, or
        b. downloading the knotes deb file and installing it manually:
        https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+archiv....0.1_amd64.deb

4. Wait until kdepim (and knotes) is upgraded to 4.4.8 in the maverick repos (I don't know the ETA, so it might take a while...you might want to give options 1-3 a go in the meantime)

Comment

Take a look at my previous post here. It should fix the problem and upgrade your kde to latest stable version.
          ASROCK Z87 Pro4 - i5 4670K - R9 270x ☞ Triple Boot: KDE NEON ★ Windows 10 ★ Windows 7

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions and explanation.
            I followed the process linked by Ubuntuku and then installed Knotes. Problems appear to have been resolved.
            The assistance is greatly appreciated

Comment

Working...
            X